Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Tips for playing without ego

While playing online, I find myself in tournaments and cash games alike always raising or calling when I shouldn't, because I get into hands and just can't let go of them. I get to where I think someone is always bluffing me or trying to steal my blinds. I try to outplay people too often and it is very very -EV.

I was just wondering what some of you do to check your ego at the door when you step in to a poker game.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Tips for playing without ego

You might want to try reading Zen and the Art of Poker.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:09 PM

Learn to hate your hand. Then it's easy to fold.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Learn to hate your hand. Then it's easy to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easiest way to do this is go on a losing streak. I tend to always hate my hand after one of those.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to try reading Zen and the Art of Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the goal of this book? I hear it rec'd all of the time, but I don't know what you get out of it. Does it help you with patience mostly or what?
Old 10-28-2005, 02:34 PM

I think the most important thing you need to work on is seperating results from gameplay. Concentrate on making the correct decision all the time, not whether or not you win a pot or whether or not a particular opponent is winning. For your next session, play exactly 50 hands (no more, no less) and for those 50 hands, concentrate on making the correct decision every time.

EDIT: If this problem is occurring only online (and not offline), then take more time (more specifically, the exact same amount of time) for each one of those 50 decisions. Playing online typically results in making hasty decisions; it becomes much easier to make a bad decision when you are under pressure for time.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the goal of this book? I hear it rec'd all of the time, but I don't know what you get out of it. Does it help you with patience mostly or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Zen and the Art of Poker uses the theories of Zen to help improve your psychological game. It has some very good advice for separating your ego from the game, and for staying detached and calm (zenlike) during bad swings. I found it helpful, YMMV.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:31 PM

I'll add my two cents to some of the other good advice.

I've been playing for a living for about two years now and the way I get away from ego is part natural and part ego. the natural part is that I've gotten a little older and things like "being better than that guy" or "beating this guy" don't concern me anymore. I just want to play to the best of my abilities. The mental part is that I know I'm still learning. I know I'm not the best, but I continue to strive to get better every day. There are tons of people out there that will wipe the floor with me on a poker table. So I myself... "deacsoft, you play for a living but you're not a pro... you're a student of the game". There's no room for ego in the game and learning process of a student.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:43 PM

I found that once I became a winning player, my ego became less important at the poker table. I'm not sure the best way to battle your ego if you are currently a losing player.

One way might be to make a conscious effort to respect your opponents. If you are outplayed or sucked out on, say "nice hand," instead of thinking "wow, he's an idiot and I'm better than him."

OTOH, I'm purposely very humble in most aspects of my life because I spent a good amount of time being active in a communist political group that basically requires that. Also, I had a career as a full-time labor organizer which also helped to teach me humility.

So, part of it is just life experience, but a big part of it is making the decision.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:19 PM

This is a brilliantly formulated cry for help.

You need to step into the game realizing that the decisions that lay before you are the most important.