Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Hank Aaron Being His Usual Racist Self

[ QUOTE ]
Zeke Astacio, Willy Taveras, & Jose Vizcaino are all black.

They are latinos who happen to be black. Their ethnicity may be latino but their race is black. Saying they aren't black would be akin to saying Mike Piazza isn't white, he's "italian".

[/ QUOTE ]

I work with a Dominican kid who is black as night but insists he hates 'niggers.' There is a perceived difference for some people.

I was thinking about mentioning this issue a few days ago when I read that Bud Selig had said MLB was going to work on getting more black players, that it was a serious problem or something to that effect. My response was, why? It's not as if it's an important public service or civil sector where blacks are underrepresented and it causes them to be screwed at city hall. It's not as if people go around saying we need more Japanese truck drivers, or Mexican hockey players.

I can comfortably say that my racial politics would be accurately described as radical-left, but I think some people have got the idea that diversity for its own sake is what's of the utmost importance. On the one hand, there is a legitimate argument that diversity does foster a number of valuable cultural and personal traits among those who experience it; however, I don't think that's any part of Bud Selig's thought process here.

NT
Old 10-28-2005, 01:35 AM

When I was watching the WS I clearly noticed how the Astros were very white and the White Sox far more colored. Being a minority myself I laughed heartily when the White Sox whooped those white boys' asses.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:32 AM

Make sure they are blacks that run fast too!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Larry Bird DID say that the league needed more white players. Yet you, who would presumably be sensitive to such things, don't realize that he did. So maybe it didn't create such a firestorm after all, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm pretty sure what Larry said was that he was "insulted" when a white guy was guarding him.

And yes, it did create a big shitstorm.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work with a Dominican kid who is black as night but insists he hates 'niggers.' There is a perceived difference for some people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but not for white racists. I'm pretty sure they'd hate African American and African Dominican equally.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Astros just had their most successful season ever and he's criticizing their scouting department. Fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did find it surprising that they didnt have 1 black person on their roster. Am I the only one that didnt know this???

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't have one African American on their roster, but Ezequiel Astacio's pretty black.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that dude should cover some serious quota.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:03 PM

The Wall Street Journal wrote an article about this a few months ago. The statistics are pretty alarming. IIRC, In 1975 ~%25% of MLB players were black. Today the number is 9%. Blacks make up ~12% of the general population. There is a problem here but I don't think it's racism in the scouting department.

In any event, FU to the OP. Hank Aaron took more shyt for being black than you could imagine. Give the guy a break.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:05 PM

The Astros had two Black players on their expanded roster this season but they didn't make the playoff roster.

Carlton Jimmerson
and Gipson (don't know his first name). Black people in Houston are always calling the radio station and complaining about their lack of minorities.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Wall Street Journal wrote an article about this a few months ago. The statistics are pretty alarming. IIRC, In 1975 ~%25% of MLB players were black. Today the number is 9%. Blacks make up ~12% of the general population. There is a problem here but I don't think it's racism in the scouting department.

In any event, FU to the OP. Hank Aaron took more shyt for being black than you could imagine. Give the guy a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noone is complaining about the lack of white people in the NBA relative to the population, or latino for that matter.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:10 PM

So you don't see any parallels between the history of baseball and the history of racial integration in this country?