Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Now I know what its like to play against me

Roughly 25 people left in a Ub $100. I have a slightly less than average stack of 28k with the blinds at 400/800 with some normal sized ante. I make it 2k in MP with 1010 and a very aggresive BB calls me. He has me slightly covered. Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB checks. Whats your plan?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Now I know what its like to play against me

black TT?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:50 PM

no club.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:50 PM

I probably throw out about a 2/3-pot size bet (3k-ish I assume?), and fold to a c/r. You have enough money to make this move, and you'll be left with enough if you get forced off the hand.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably throw out a 2/3 - 3/4 size pot bet, and fold to a c/r. You have enough money to make this move, and you'll be left with enough if you get forced off the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

An integral part of the plan is the why. There's no why in your answer.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably throw out a 2/3 - 3/4 size pot bet, and fold to a c/r. You have enough money to make this move, and you'll be left with enough if you get forced off the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

An integral part of the plan is the why. There's no why in your answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, my bad. Clearly you have to be afraid of the check/raise from the aggressive BB, but he has to believe if you're throwing out 2/3 of the pot after a pre-flop raise, there is a good chance you have the K (or that the K doesn't scare you). A check/raise bluff is only good if you can feel comfortable your opponent is weak, which would be hard for him to do with that K out there. So my thinking would be he would need a legitimate hand to raise you with, in which case I would gladly lay down 10-10.

If, on the other hand, he just calls - well then the hand becomes a little trickier to finish out. *Edit* I should point out that I think this is one of the weaker points of my game. I often find myself checking behind on the turn, and then folding to the inevitable pot-size river bet in this situation.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A check/raise bluff is only good if you can feel comfortable your opponent is weak, which would be hard for him to do with that K out there. So my thinking would be he would need a legitimate hand to raise you with, in which case I would gladly lay down 10-10.

[/ QUOTE ]

K X X

is actually a very good flop to CR bluff with.

Think about a typical raising range for a MP player.
-Now assume they will continuation bet 100% of the time when checked too.
-How often do you think they will calla C/R if they dont have TP or better?

Looks profitable to me
Old 10-19-2005, 08:06 PM

I would bet 1/2 the pot after the turn if my flop bet is called. You don't want to give a free ride to flush draws, or Ax, Qx, Jx hands to outdraw you.

My question is: What do you do if you are the first to act after flop? Do you still bet 2/3 pot after flop if you are first to act?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet 1/2 the pot after the turn if my flop bet is called. You don't want to give a free ride to flush draws, or Ax, Qx, Jx hands to outdraw you.

My question is: What do you do if you are the first to act after flop? Do you still bet 2/3 pot after flop if you are first to act?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against the same player? Yes, probably somewhere in that vicinity, maybe a little more - obviously there is a lot of "feel" involved in deciding these bets, and that can only be gained from playing at the table for a while . But I can tell you one thing - I'm not going to start off showing weakness just because an overcard hits, and I'm certainly not giving him a free shot at any draw (be it A or club). And if I get raised a decent amount, then once again I'll probably be folding.

A lot of people have discussed moving in on a check/raise or on the turn, just because the opponent is aggressive - but aggressive doesn't necessarily make him a maniac; he could have a hand. I don't think this is a good position to risk your whole tournament - you certainly have a deep enough stack to be able to lay down 1010 to heavy betting on a solid overcard, and find a better spot. Also, you have to keep in mind - sometimes it's good to show an opponent you are capable of laying a big one down. It makes it easier for them to get caught in the trap you set further on down the road.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:52 PM

I am thinking you are afraid of a checkraise. I bet out 2500-3000 but I am a fish what do I know. If he raises me I think of pushing as he almost never has the king on that spot. If he flat calls I have reevaluate on the turn.