Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 05:04 AM

Default NHL totals: don\'t tell me the 5½\'s are gone already!

Stunned.

That's how I felt when I saw the lines for Opening Night in the NHL.

Didn't these oddsmakers hear about the new rules? Especially the "no more ties, we're staying until we put another goal on the board" rule?

Fifteen games. Half the games had a 6, and the other half had totals of 5½. They even put up a 5 on the Pit/NJ game.

My first thought was, "I thought scoring was supposed to be way up? I haven't followed the sport, but when I see the scores on the bottom of my tv screen, I've seen a lot of 6-4's, and not too many 2-1's.

Maybe the new rules haven't been effective. Let's look at the numbers.

I printed out the final pre-season standings. I added each teams GF and GA, and divided that by Games Played.

Out of thirty NHL teams, how many do you think saw an average of less than 5½ total goals scored in their preseason games? FIVE. Five out of thirty.

Look at the Flyers. They played 7 pre-season games. They scored 32, and allowed 25. That's a total of 57 goals in 7 games, or just over 8 goals per game. I know they're not gonna score 8 goals every night. But I like my chances to see their games go over 6.

ESPECIALLY SINCE A GAME CAN NO LONGER END IN A 3-3 TIE! Shouldn't that count for something? Like, a LOT? A tie at the end of regulation shouldn't be too scarce in HOCKEY, should it?

I ended up betting four games over, and splitting. Somehow the Caps and BlueJ's got 5 second-period goals, but couldn't get the game over 5½ (come on guys! a PPG? an EN goal? anything?), and the Habs-B's didn't come close.

Overs went 8-6-1 tonight. No fewer than four of those six unders ended in a final score of 3-2. An empty-netter in any of them would've changed a loss into a win or a push. And if the extra attacker could've tied it up, then forget about pushes, you'd be guaranteed OT/shoot-out.

The lines are already out for tomorrow. All 6's, no 5½'s.

I hope they're not gone for good.

Salami, anyone?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: NHL totals: don\'t tell me the 5½\'s are gone already!

I had the grand salami last night (over 90) at WWTS. I agree that you will most likely see more 6-4 type of games than the 2-1 games. The only 3 games on the board tonight all started at 6 and moved to 6.5.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: NHL totals: don\'t tell me the 5½\'s are gone already!

Really? Those are huge moves.

I've been getting my bets in early (overnight lines), because I have no doubt which way the lines will move.

I was gonna bet the Salami over, but the totals added up to about 83. I knew that had to be shaded up, but I thought 90 might be too big a shade.

With only three games tonight, and the Salami shaded to 19, I got too chicken to bet it. One low-scoring game can kill you, and you don't have much chance to overcome it.

I bet the late game (Phx/LA) over 6.

I parlayed the three overs, and to hedge it, I bet the Salami under. I wouldn't do that with more than three games on the board, but it seemed to make sense at the time.