Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Advanced-beginner syndrome. Am I approaching my progression properly?

Based on the hand rankings from HEPFAP, I am exceptionally tight (20% pf) and rank myself as mid agressive (psych of poker, I´m 2-5ish). Have had rousing success cashing in 50 10dollar UB tourneys, but have final tabled 3 times. Super System did more to f??k up my game than any book I´ve read.
My goal is to play properly and less like a rock. I am playing now UB, .25/.50 which I can afford, and am consciously trying to either raise or fold, ALWAYS! (with a few obvious exceptions) My aim is to achieve a more proper technique, and to develop an eye for trends that happen as a result of this style of play.

What am I doing right, and what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Advanced-beginner syndrome. Am I approaching my progression properly?

One thing your doing right is playing tight!
Most people have the exact opposite problem. they play
way to many hands. As for SS that is a very aggresive
type of play that will get alot of people in trouble.
As for playing less tight,don't get impatient
and play bad hands like so many do. As you play more
hands and get more experience you can expand your play.
There are a couple of NL books comming out soon,
and you should get "Small Stakes Hold'm" even if
you don't play limit cause it's a damn good book!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Advanced-beginner syndrome. Am I approaching my progression properly?

Thanks for your response sir. Did you personally find any pitfalls (my fear) to aggressive play? I am wondering if the microlimits I play aren´t the best place to look for results because I could tattoo 2 aces to my forehead and 2 people would still call me to the river.
Thoughts anyone?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:02 PM

A lot of the very good players are aggresive but
they have learned to mix up their game. I think that
most new players who play this way, have not learned
how to get away from a hand. In Nl this may work for
awhile(LAG) but a good player can be patient and use
a lag players aggrestion against him.
I am still working getting my tight/aggresive mix the
way I would like it.
Playing the micro games can be a challange as your
finding out getting AA beat. People don't have a clue
and will play anything anywhere and anytime! Thats where
its even more Important to stay on your game, because in the Long Run which is what counts
(ala BB100) you will be the winner and they will be the
loser!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:20 AM

Even though the fixed limit play at UB is pretty tight, if you are playing .25/.50 limit Hold'em HEPFAP is not the best book to be guided by. Like Froggy, I would suggest you read Small Stakes Hold'em (Sklanksy, Miller and Malmuth).
Old 11-04-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Advanced-beginner syndrome. Am I approaching my progression proper

I agree.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:45 PM

In the micro games where so many people see the flop you have to open up your range of starting hands and play the more speculative hands like suited connectors, Axs, Kxs, etc... Small-Stakes HE goes into this in much more detail than I care to here, but the gist is playing uber-tight is not usually the best gameplan in these types of games. Now, that said - I'm not talking about turning your 20% into 60% - more like turn your 20% into something like 24-26%. Loose games like these have more variance, so prepare yourself for that.

Sure, your big hands (AA, KK) will hold up enough times to make you money - but in the long run, the big winners in these LL no-foldem games are the more speculative drawing hands. Pump your big draws and don't slow play your TPTK hands.

In these games, you have to make a hand to win - so don't bluff.

In general, the games your in now is simply ABC poker. If you are throwing away hands like A3s in LP with several limpers in these games, you are playing to tight. In the long run, you'll probably beat the game for a small amount - but these LL games are easily beatable to the tune of 4-5BB/hr or more with solid play.

Read SSH.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My goal is to play properly and less like a rock. I am playing now UB, .25/.50 which I can afford,

[/ QUOTE ]

This made all the difference in the world to my game. The importance of having the bankroll to fund the stakes you are playing cannot be stressed enough, especially at beginning and advanced beginning stages (where you stated you are and where I am at as well.) I feel bad for the players that sit at the .50/1.00 tables at Pacific with $20 (if they are like I was, probably their second/third $20 deposit of the day)lose it calling down bets and folding at the river, then sit out when it is gone. Swings happen, and seeing your bank roll depleted by 10% or 20% total by someone catching a runner runner flush or straight can be devastating.

Since I have played the levels that I can afford (playing .50/1.00 with about 435BB) it is much easier to play the game properly. Less stressful on bad beats, easier to build pots when appropriate, easier to chuckle at the calling station that draws trips w/72 and beats your AK TPTK.

The proper bankroll allows you to look at bets as just that, BBs, and not $$ or xx% of your bankroll.

Playing like a rock is proper Pre flop play, but quite often playing like a rock post flop is a result of protecting an underfunded bankroll and more often than not, losing you money. You can't be agressive if you can't afford to lose a few BBs to raised pot with TPTK or a 9 out
flush draw with 15 BBs in the pot, especially at .25/.50 and .50/1.00. +ev plays often (quite often) lose you pots, but they build your bankroll.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:36 AM

I've found I can figure out most of the acronyms here, but have no idea what TPTK is. Can you help a brother out?
TIA
Russ
Old 11-06-2004, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found I can figure out most of the acronyms here, but have no idea what TPTK is. Can you help a brother out?
TIA
Russ

[/ QUOTE ]

TPTK = top pair top kicker