Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Bubble Play - is this a leak?

Thanks for not flaming me too bad guys. This is how I've been finishing a lot over the past 7-10 days, and it gets u wondering...

Specifically my 4th places (distribution) have gone from 8.6% to 18.1%. Ugh

I've only been playing this damn game for 12 weeks now. It's frustrating when you think ur playing "right", and it ain't working out.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's frustrating when you think ur playing "right", and it ain't working out.

[/ QUOTE ]

We know. Believe me, we know.

It's good that you're asking questions and examining your game. This just ain't the problem here.

eastbay
Old 01-21-2005, 08:23 PM

Man I have no idea where you got that from [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Opposite of a leak is just leak-free/solid. Where's my prize.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:09 AM

It MAY be worth refraining from pre-flop all-ins when on the bubble. Wait until you get a really friendly flop, or wait for someone else to go all-in and get eliminated. Unless the other three are also playing really passive while waiting for your stack to melt, it will usually place you in the money. Now is not the time for risky moves, even if the would be a +EV play in a ring game.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new to tournament play (hell, I'm new to online poker in general), and the above line of reasoning is untested... I'm just extrapolating from the old scenario where it is correct to fold pocket aces preflop.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong before I start following my own advice. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2005, 01:37 AM

Waiting for a friendly flop at this point is suicide. You will occassionally slide into the money when someone else busts out, but this strategy will almost always leave you shortstacked and out in third.

And pushing with AQ is not a risky move.
You will usually win the blinds,
and will occassionally get called by far inferior hands
and rarely come up agains a hand that dominates you

this was just a bad break.
you double up in this scenario nearly every time and well-positioned for a title run!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:40 AM

Over at party I have avoided the bubble on the short stack and also made some good runs afterwards pushing with AQ and a fair amount worse in those situations. No better feeling then getting into the money or moving up a step because you got aggressive on the bubble and got the blinds you needed to go back to solid poker or induced a favorable call. Keep doing exactly what you are and your results will improve over the long term.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:15 AM

It´s a no brainer-fellow diver. Fact, you got a dream result. You were called by a stack with a hand you had dominated. So he hit it. Big deal. The play was right and the opponent was right.
It has helped me to try not to be so results orientated, and to focus on whether or not i´m playing good poker. Last week I isolated a maniac, hit high pair on the flop, and lost to a gutshot. Left the tourney and felt good about how I left. Found the right hand, to attack the right guy and got a good flop.
Remember that and take that good play you did to the table with you next time, in the form of confidence.
Good luck, and thanks for your help on my hand last week as well.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for not flaming me too bad guys. This is how I've been finishing a lot over the past 7-10 days, and it gets u wondering...

Specifically my 4th places (distribution) have gone from 8.6% to 18.1%. Ugh

I've only been playing this damn game for 12 weeks now. It's frustrating when you think ur playing "right", and it ain't working out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand your feeling. But 8.6% 4th finish is way too low. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]