Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: High Roller (Stu U Movie) Question

I liked it.

PairTheBoard
Old 06-28-2005, 03:51 AM

I liked it. Editing and sound weren't exactly top-notch, but who cares? Though I should admit that I like everything Michael I. does.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Mr. Migayi from Karate Kid is Bob Stupak? Did anyone have a tough time relating to that. I do wish they showed a more indepth life about his drug habbit and his meltdown. I did like the ending though.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:46 PM

He was talking to the now deceased--and in the afterlife--mafioso guy who was like his father.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:29 PM

i dint see the movie, but have read up a lot on stu ungar. the only he could do welkl was play poker and that was perfectly ok with him o/c. i thought that to be an interesdting thing
Old 06-29-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Migayi from Karate Kid is Bob Stupak? Did anyone have a tough time relating to that. I do wish they showed a more indepth life about his drug habbit and his meltdown. I did like the ending though.

[/ QUOTE ]

MR miyagi was NOT Stupak in the movie. He was a combination of an actual top gin player called Leo the Jap and stupak, sorta. The movie took many artistic licenses which I did not care for.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:59 AM

That guy was the icy cold hand of death.

I was dissapointed, and I didn't have high expectations. I've always been interested in Unger and I'm a big Imperioli fan so I peeped it, eh. I thought it was funny they had Baccalieri in it. Oh yea and the cameo by VVP was funny although corny. The love story was obviously tacked on, not awful, not great. The Holdem part I thought was horribly done, it seemed just like it was a weak attempt at the rounders scene, that 72 to KK hand was stupid and they should have shown unger actually play a hand or raising like a mad man and talking crap at the table.

I had this feeling they wouldnt do anything on gin as it isnt too popular now, at least they did that.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That guy was the icy cold hand of death.

I was dissapointed, and I didn't have high expectations. I've always been interested in Unger and I'm a big Imperioli fan so I peeped it, eh. I thought it was funny they had Baccalieri in it. Oh yea and the cameo by VVP was funny although corny. The love story was obviously tacked on, not awful, not great. The Holdem part I thought was horribly done, it seemed just like it was a weak attempt at the rounders scene, that 72 to KK hand was stupid and they should have shown unger actually play a hand or raising like a mad man and talking crap at the table.

I had this feeling they wouldnt do anything on gin as it isnt too popular now, at least they did that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think the 72 vs KK hand was brilliant, and it is based on a hand Jack Straus played very similarly. I'm sure you understand the psychology of the hand.