Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Results...

My thoughts:

After analyzing the hand, I thought there were two debatable issues:

1) Should I have simply call the preflop reraise from the SB?
2) Should I have re-reraised so much? As Ken has said, it seemed a tad too much.

Everything else was status quo.

Preflop thoughts: I make a standard raise from the button, and get repopped by SB who I believe could have been restealing. So right or wrong, I decided to send a message, and while the $0.80 repop may have been slightly excessive, I think it sent a message saying “I’m not messing around; I really do have a hand”. I felt this raise would be enough to get a hand as strong as JJ or AK to fold. It was also an information 3-bet. Once he calls the massive 3-bet reraise, I was done with the hand except for…

Flop thoughts: What a dream flop! Maybe people don’t realize it, but given what I put him on (KK most likely holding), I had the best hand on the flop even if he has the K of diamonds! What people also don’t realize and may be surprised to hear is I bet the flop hoping to get check-raised. I wanted all my money on the flop with the nut flush draw, four gutshot straight outs and three live As. If he happens to fold, I’m happy too. Checking behind in this spot would be horrible poker in my mind. Why?

(a) I have the best hand barring him having an unlikely set or AA.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=739051
pokenum -h ad qd - kd kc -- 5d 3d 2h
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 5d 3d 2h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ad Qd 500 50.51 472 47.68 18 1.82 0.514
Kc Kd 472 47.68 500 50.51 18 1.82 0.486

(b) I am unlikely to get paid off if I either hit my A or gutshot outs.

(c) If I check behind and a blank comes off, I would be forced to fold my hand to any reasonable bet from SB. I wanted to get my money in while I had the equity on the flop.

(d) Betting the flop and not letting him take the initative also gives me flexibility on the turn. Should I bet the flop, and he just calls, I can check behind on a blank turn and see the river for free.

As it turns out, I got my 4 on the turn, which sealed the deal.

As for SB's play? In my opinion he played it correctly except for preflop. I think he should have 4-bet me, and force me to muck.

Thanks for everyone’s comments.

Garland

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) converter

CO ($5.62)
Garland ($6.88)
SB ($5.06)
BB ($3.58)
UTG ($12.87)
UTG+1 ($6.70)
MP1 ($4.81)
MP2 ($5.20)

Preflop: Garland is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $0.06</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Garland raises to $0.8</font>, SB calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.62) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Garland bets $1.02</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $4.26</font>, Garland calls $3.24.

Turn: ($10.14) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($10.14) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $10.14

Results below:
Garland has Qd Ad (straight, five high).
SB has Kc Kd (two pair, kings and threes).
Outcome: Garland wins $10.14.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Results...

You're right about the flop bet. I actually thought you wanted to be checkraised. It's stupid to think that you want a free card. You actually want to make him pay to draw at a non-flush, non-ace, non-straight card. I thought correctly about it once, but then I lost it.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: 2+2 table with 250xBB micro-limit stacks...button vs. SB hand

Smooth call the reraise preflop. Other than that, the hand played itself.