Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 07:25 PM

Default River donkbet on scare card

Live 3-12 spread limit game at 3am or so, I think we are 8 handed, maybe 9. I play this game as 12/12 with 2/3 blinds, I have found that in small spread limit games it works very well to only ever bet the max, except very rarely to squeeze out half a bet of value on the river in a tiny pot.

Villian in this hand is BB and seems to be an ok player. He plays too loose, and seems over aggressive at times. I remember playing with him on one other occasion and he was not a complete donkey their either, I have only been at this table for about 30 minutes. If anything he likes to be tricky postflop.

Hero has 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in middle position. All bets and raises are 12 dollars in this hand.

1 limper to me, Hero raises, folds to villian who calls.

Flop (2.75BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, BB thinks for 10 seconds and calls.

Turn (8.75BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls after thinking for another 20 seconds

River (10.75BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero ?

His hand range is very large here I think, as he likes to try to be tricky postflop, he might call preflop with any 2 broadway cards, any suited ace, and any pocket pair. I am not worried that he has TT, JJ, or KK because he would have 3 bet preflop with any of those holdings. I am very worried about KJ, KT, but I think he could do this with KQ, AK, or even a lesser hand if he thinks I will fold.

I am obviously not folding here, and my immediate thought is to call, but what about raising? I'm not sure if he has KQ or AK enough that he would make a raise worthwhile. I think I am calling a 3 bet and killing myself when he turns over KJ.

edit:
wow I am retarded, had that I was worried about AQ.. hmm, let me see that hand chart, does a straight beat a full house?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: River donkbet on scare card

id probly pop it and call a 3b
Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 PM

If your read on him is correct, that he wouldn't have TT, JJ or KK because he'd have raised those, then there are only a few hands that beat you; Kx where x is J,T or 8, or those pairs you feel like he doesn't have.

My guess is that when you 3-bet his c/r, it finally dawned on him that you must have a set, and unless he's pretty dumb, he'll see your river raise as meaning you have a boat and fold if he is beaten. You might as well raise, but I still worry about your read on those possible pairs, KK, JJ, TT.

bill
Old 12-29-2005, 10:07 PM

I think you're ahead here ALOT given the discription of this player. If the river card beat you you would have been checkraised on the turn(ie. KJ or TT). JJ or KK probably would have been raised pre-flop.

I would certainly raise here and call a 3 bet.