Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 02:03 PM

Default A ministep 4 hand

Only about 10 hands in. The villain here had minraised preflop once before, and had played 4 of the first 9 hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

CO (t865)
Button (t615)
SB (t1205)
BB (t1940)
UTG (t1470)
UTG+1 (t1055)
MP1 (t1060)
MP2 (t880)
Hero (t910)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t60, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t165) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t175</font>, Hero is all-in

-Kings
Old 05-14-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: A ministep 4 hand

FWIW The payout structure is as follows:

1-2 Step 5 entry
3-5 Step 4 reroll
6-7 Step 3 rollback
8 Step 2 rollback
9-10 Step 1 rollback
Old 05-14-2005, 03:25 PM

I would probably fold. My read is that he has a pair of kings.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably fold. My read is that he has a pair of kings. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, why do I feel like you have some inside information?

Looking back, that seems like an awfully aggressive flop bet. At this point I don't know who the fishies are and who know what they're doing, but this could have been an idiot with 88 or two diamonds. If he knows what he's doing, it's likely a big ol' pair. Given that, and the fact that I don't know where he falls, perhaps I should save my chips and pick a more secure spot.

I'm at least as interested in preflop as on the flop though. Are there any arguments for folding? Reraising? I mean, I think calling is best esp vs an unknown who has minraised before, but discussion couldn't hurt.

I also haven't played enough of these ministep4s yet to get a feel for the field. My guess is that it's mostly qualifiers playing scared trying to squeak up to the step 5s or at least no fall tumbling back to step 1. Anyone else have any information on these, or other ministep levels?
Old 05-14-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably fold. My read is that he has a pair of kings. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, why do I feel like you have some inside information?

Looking back, that seems like an awfully aggressive flop bet. At this point I don't know who the fishies are and who know what they're doing, but this could have been an idiot with 88 or two diamonds. If he knows what he's doing, it's likely a big ol' pair. Given that, and the fact that I don't know where he falls, perhaps I should save my chips and pick a more secure spot.

I'm at least as interested in preflop as on the flop though. Are there any arguments for folding? Reraising? I mean, I think calling is best esp vs an unknown who has minraised before, but discussion couldn't hurt.

I also haven't played enough of these ministep4s yet to get a feel for the field. My guess is that it's mostly qualifiers playing scared trying to squeak up to the step 5s or at least no fall tumbling back to step 1. Anyone else have any information on these, or other ministep levels?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its fine. You take down the pot right there often enough for it to be a good play.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:07 PM

Easy push IMO. You will get called by AK, AQ and flush draws here a lot, all of which you are a favorite against, unless it is AK with a flush draw, then they are a favorite.