Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Your input please (on your US Senator)

Here is a list of the US Senators who's term expires in 2006. Please tell me what you know of these Senators. Who is likely to retire? Who would likely replace a retired Senator? Who is very vunerable to being defeated in their reelection campaign? I want an idea of the likely political result of the 2006 election. Thanks.

AZ Kyl R
CA Feinstein D
CT Lieberman D
DE Carper D
FL Nelson D
HI Akaka D
IN Lugar R
ME Snowe R
MD Sarbanes D
MA Kennedy D
MI Stabenow D
MN Dayton D
MS Lott R
MO Talent R
MT Burns R
NE Nelson D
NV Ensign R
NJ Corzine D
NM Bingaman D
NY Clinton D
ND Conrad D
OH DeWine R
PA Santorum R
RI Chafee R
TN Frist R
TX Hutchinson R
UT Hatch R
VT Jeffords I
VA Allen R
WA Cantwell D
WV Byrd D
WI Kohl D
WY Thomas R
Old 11-04-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Your input please (on your US Senator)

Richard Lugar (R - Indiana) will be 74 in 2006 and, although very well respected by both Democrats and Republicans...will be pushing it a bit if he runs for reelection. Lugar has been the rock in Republican circles - winning election to the Senate in 1976 - so his time is winding down.

Knowing Indiana politics inside and out, it will be very difficult for Democrats to pick up this seat when Lugar retires. For a Democrat to be successful in Indiana, he has to be, essentially, a Republican on fiscal matters. Most in the state see Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson (D) running for this spot if it becomes available. He is a very successful, but relatively pro-business conservative, Democrat. Republicans will run somebody like former Indy mayor Steven Goldsmith, or possibly a young 'rising star' type.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:40 PM

bob byrd in wva how old is that guy? hes like the strom thurmond democrat
Old 11-04-2004, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NM Bingaman D

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Jeff Bingaman, I consider him to be very intelligent, low key, and a moderate. I think he serves New Mexico and the U.S. very well FWIW. I can't imagine him losing in 2006 if decides to run again although stranger things have happened.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:46 PM

Mark Dayton --- kind of cooky. Not likely to retire. With the right candidate against him, it is potentially a win for republicans.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:51 PM

Feinstein is beloved in California, loves being in the Senate, and isn't going anywhere.

Count that seat safe for the Democrats.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:59 PM

Mark Dayton of Minnesota is a total nut-case. He is nearly incoherent when on TV or at public hearings, and he closed down his Washington offices during the recent recess due to fear of terrorist attacks. No other Senator or Representative took any steps in response to the same security briefings that set Dayton off.

Dayton has been buying himself political jobs in Minnesota with his family money for many years. (The department store company started by his family, Dayton's, has been renamed to reflect its biggest cash cow, Target.) The state has been moving from solid Democrat to a more centrist political position. The Governor and the other Senator are Republicans. I think that the current electorate is going to have a big shock when they really see their senior Senator up close and personal, running for reelection. I'd bet against him if the Republicans can come up with a decent candidate.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:10 PM

Bill Nelson, Florida (D)

Dont know much about his politics honestly, having not been physically resident in Florida for quite some time. I would give even money on him being able to keep his seat. Here is why he can:

1) Retirees make up a large voting bloc in Florida. Generally speaking, this group tends to trend Republican.

2) Now this one is total guesswork, but I would imagine that he is probably moderate Democrat. Given the current political climate in the South, it would be hard to run and win as a hardcore liberal.

3) Many Floridians vote Democrat straight down the ticket, which is a holdover from the old days when Democrats dominated the South.

And why he cant:

1) The days of voting Democrat are probably over, as evinced by the recent election.

2) As a corollary to that, Republicans are quite popular in Florida these days. Jeb Bush has been very popular, witness his convincing reelection for evidence of that. Mel Martinez won the other Senate seat in a close race. Id say the Republican party is on the rise in Florida.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:16 PM

Default TX: Hutchinson

Kay Baily Hutchinson (KBH) does not care for DC and wants to come back to Texas. She is planning to run for governor. Of course she could change her mind....

KBH is a moderate republican. Many Texans think she is not conservative enough.

This senate seat is a 'safe' Republican seat. Her replacement will almost certainly be more conservative....
Old 11-04-2004, 02:21 PM

MI Stabenow D

As far as I know she hasn't done anything outstanding for this state in her first term.

That being said, although it is a little early to tell, I see no reason to think her seat is in any real danger. Things of course can change a lot in two years and through the couse of a campaign.