Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Are we doin MLL this week?

Since you didn't bother reading my first post, I'll provide the cliff notes version of it here.

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of sounding condescending, I think the MLL is geared more towards players like myself and JaxUp, who might not be the strongest holdem players on the planet, but are pretty good at all games. I don't put in 10k hands of holdem a week like I used to (and probably should, it's still my 'best' game), but I'm one of the people on the forum who will sit down and say "haven't played Stud/8 in a while, I think I'll play some of that, then maybe a $33 SNG, and if the PLO games look juicy maybe a few orbits of that afterwards." We're more apt to squeeze in a heads up match, because we consider it just another type of game. I think from a strictly holdem grinding point of view, the MLL is intensely -EV, and thus doomed to fail when manned by grinders.

If I do one thing in my entire 2+2 career, it will be to open people's eyes to the different games available.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I am saying : I understand why people weren't playing matches, because when you're doing other things with your life and willing to play poker for 15 hours a week, you might as well make those 15 hours as profitable as possible. A heads up match for $1 may not be the most profitable endeavor for most people in this forum.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would anyone else be interested in a single NL tourney for the forum on PP/stars/elsewhere?

maybe $5 or something, just for bragging rights and fun more than anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a NL HU tourney every Thursday evening. HU Trout I've posted links to it here in the past. First couple installments had like 20 participants. After that it's been kinda like MLL. Now it's lucky to get 8 players.

Maybe if there was one dedicated to the micros it would attrach more attention here. I doubt it.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:33 AM

Yeah. I think I'll give it a month or so, and then I'll try to organize KotKP III as either a NL tourney or a HU limit tourney.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:05 PM

Just a request. Could we get a final rankings of the league?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:08 PM

I came in late, but enjoyed the three matches that I got in last week. My only complaint is how long it took to play a match (seemed to average 45 minutes). If I were lucky enough to get in 15 hours a week (lately I only get in 5 if I'm lucky), it wouldn't matter as much. Plus it's very difficult to multi-table when you're constantly having action on a HU table.

If Wook does start up another KoML, that would be great. I vote for NL since limit tourneys kinda stink [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 03:39 PM

This is just a thought so don't freak out if you don't like it.

There are 8 weeks left until X-mass. How about something like a more structured league where there are only 8 people in it that would play each other once over the course of the next 7 weeks. We wouldn't have to set up a schedule other than you have to ensure that you don't wait until the last couple of weeks to play everybody. (The number of players could be tweaked but would have to consist of players that would truly be interested in doing this.) The last week we could have some sort of elimination tourney and crown a champion.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I am saying : I understand why people weren't playing matches, because when you're doing other things with your life and willing to play poker for 15 hours a week, you might as well make those 15 hours as profitable as possible. A heads up match for $1 may not be the most profitable endeavor for most people in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I gained tremendously from the MLL. Not only did it immediately up my confidence and experience in hu play, it forced me to learn to continue to play poker and read hand no matter how many opponents I had.

Getting systematically destroyed by Aaron W after I thought that I could just run him over taught me plenty.

using the what I learned from Aaron to slowdown other lagfest opponents was another great learning tool.

once I got a little comfy with HU, I was able to use it for real monetary gain in these situations:

1)blind wars. I can now actually lay a hand down postflop after a steal with the proper board, read, and action.

2)blind steals. I now steal and defend even more liberally from the big blind vs a sb openlimp or raise because the value of position hu has been so dramatically (and repeatedly) illustreted during my MLL matches.

3)bad games. Don't have to play em anymore. if all of the vpips are low and the pot sizes are small, I just start up a new table and run over the first fish to sit down with me. good times. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 06:25 PM

This sums up my feelings pretty well. Pax, I'd like to add my thanks as well. I didn't play in too many matches, and didn't win any, but I still really enjoyed and found them thought provoking. I don't think that the stakes influenced the seriousness of the play, although it probably contributed to the availability for some people.

For me at least, since poker isn't going to affect my overall financial status, it wasn't about the $$, at least, but about the learning. If I weren't putting in an insanely stupid amount of time at work right now, I certainly would have played more. My last match was cut short at about 300 hands when Comcast went dead on me. Aaron W, hopefully you'll let me finish that match with you regardless of league status!

If you guys see Disconn33 online during non-work hours (Pacific time), it usually means I can play, so feel free to IM me whether or not the league is in session.

Anyway, back to Pax, I have no idea if everyone is like me and just made no time at all to play, or if I'm in the minority. But whatever, thanks for your effort in putting this together and for the idea/initiative in general to promote a different sort of experience. Even if the league falls through, it was still an awesome idea, and you did something about it, so thanks again.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 AM

Crap. I lost my internet access for a week (thanks Verizon). I was afraid this was going to happen.

Well, I enjoyed the MLL. Pax, Aaron, thanks for your work on the websites. I thought it was a great idea, and I'm glad I was able to participate a little bit.

I think the small amount of experience I gained is smoothening my transition to 6 Max.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's just say I lost a lot of respect for some people in micros during this 'league'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully not of those who were in the top 25. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hey man, excellent job putting it together and making it work while it lasted. I had a ton of fun and learned much. Like nfinity said, thinking about the matches and discussing the play was a tremendous help for me. As well as adjusting to other styles of players. After playing 3 matches against 3 different players my head was spinning.
But learning how to adjust to their play and adjusting my play was priceless.

If anyone wants to play a HU match drop me a line. I still enjoy it. I'll play for the buck or put some money on it. I'm not around as much as I have been, but still like to play.