Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 02:06 AM

Default My first downswing(No Content)

I'm going crazy these last 4 days. I have never had a downswing this bad ever 124BB. I feel like I have improved so much lately, and now this. Just had to post something about this, to try and make myself feel better. Sorry for the no content post, I hate them too.

Heres a example of how my last 4 days have been going.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Results below:
Hero has 7h 8d (straight, nine high).
MP3 has Kh 9h (flush, king high).
Outcome: MP3 wins 17.50 BB.

Feel free to post your big downswings if you have any so I don't feel like the only one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: My first downswing(No Content)

I am currently in my second substantial downswing. Had a 110BB episode about two months ago, recovered up 300, and dumped 60 in about an hour tonight. Add that to the 45 from yesterday and ugh..... Still clearing pokeracenow, so I'll be playing thru this one as opposed to taking some time off like I did last time.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:14 AM

I'm in the midst of a 100 bb downswing at 3/6 and 2/4. It really sucks, and you start doubting yourself. Just make a special effort seek out good tables as you run bad, that way you don't cause yourself too much stress over your level of play, knowing that it has to be due to a bad run.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:02 AM

coming out of a 150BB downswing. Whiffed on everything the last 3 weeks.

last couple of sessions my pocket pairs are making sets and my draws are panning out so it's turning around now.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:06 AM

Just completed a 165BB downswing and it was great. Really. Actually very educating. I became interested to see how long it would take to break out of the fall. Every time I got another big hand cracked it didn't seem to effect me in the slightest. I can honestly say that my play did not at all suffer during this period. I became somewhat detached, looking at what was going on from the outside.
All of this I can only attribute to this forum. So many players who are so much better than me have posted of hedious downswings over very long periods. If it can happen to them it is going to happen to you. The best thing is to use it as another educational tool. You don't want to come out the other end an emotional wreck. You want to come out stronger for the experience.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:29 AM

My downswing from today while clearing BONUSJUN:

You can tell I was running pretty cold by the fact that my VPIP was only 16% for 6max. I don't know what was going on, like someone else said you feel like you're completely losing it, and you know nothing about the game. I thought I was getting a firm grasp on 6max, and then today happened, and I have no idea what I'm doing now. You start to question if you really know how to play, and maybe you have just been running hot for the past 20k hands.

Atleast with my bonus I finished $13 up [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Edit - I just noticed my W$SD is pretty high, combine that with my low VPIP and that probably means I was playing weak-tight, and running cold. Ugh...I really need to start my 6max game over after today happened.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:13 AM

My first encounter with 3/6. I did a cashout near my peak here as a "paycheck" then went on a nice downswing. My bankroll was fairly damaged after that (120BB = $720) so I had to move back down to 2/4.

Old 06-05-2005, 05:21 AM

I've already experienced a 60BB and an 80BB downswing. The variance of limit hold em is absolutely tremendous. But of course for a player with a high winrate like me, the swings won't really ever get bigger than 100BB. Some of you are obviously losing players, you call losing 100BB a downswing? I think you need to get a day job, you obviously aren't steadily beating the game if you experience swings like this.

A graph of my winnings since I started $.50/$1.00 back in '92 (measured in thousands of dollars of course):

Old 06-05-2005, 07:28 AM

You have surpassed droolie and YOU are now my favorite micro limit poster. Long live the mastah.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:47 AM

Yeah Im running cold right now, only down about 80BBs over the past two weeks...I play 5/10 full and I have a VPIP of 10 percent. Im usually up 18-20 percent hands played. Its getting a little insane. Im not even getting hands to draw with.