Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 09:46 PM

Default TPTK turned 2 pair, too fancy?

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls.

River: (18.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.20 BB

Would you play it any differently? 3 bet the flop? Lead the turn? Lead the river?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: TPTK turned 2 pair, too fancy?

I would 3-bet the flop. Since you didn't, I think the turn play is probably my line. *Meaning the check-raise*
Old 03-27-2005, 09:57 PM

i probably play it no differently, i have to put him on the set of 7s tho.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:58 PM

Looks to me like a good application of the call-the-flop-raise-C/R-the-turn play, with the added bonus that you turned top two-pair. Unfortunately, it also looks like he's flipping over 77 and showing you the set (he doesn't seem much worried by the A). After he 3-bets the turn, I'd call it and check/call the river.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:31 PM

It pains me to see people not 3-bet these flops.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:45 AM

I 3-bet the flop. BB has already called 2 cold, so I'm not really concerned about driving him away.

I don't think you can cap the turn and not lead the river, especially since it is not a scary card at all. if you like your hand that much on the turn, you have to still like it on the river. however, villain has been pretty aggressive and BB is doing a lot of cold calling (what is he hanging around with anyway? some sort of gutshot?), so I am definitely planning to just call a raise from villain.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks to me like a good application of the call-the-flop-raise-C/R-the-turn play, with the added bonus that you turned top two-pair. Unfortunately, it also looks like he's flipping over 77 and showing you the set (he doesn't seem much worried by the A). After he 3-bets the turn, I'd call it and check/call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this play for situations where your edge is small on the flop, but will either go way up or way down on the turn?

But your edge is large on this flop, and BB will be putting in dead money all the way.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:10 AM

What is your reasoning behind check-calling the river after capping the turn?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:31 AM

Agreed. If you were confident enough in your hand that willing to put in that extra BB on the turn to cap it, you better be willing to lead the river. Otherwise it would make no sense at all for the turn bet, it is simply costing you money (either you lose a bet on the river if you would have won, or it costs you an extra bet on the turn that you shouldn't have put in).

FWIW I call the turn 3-bet and check-call the river.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:34 AM

Results:
Hero has Jd Ad (two pair, aces and jacks).
MP3 has Qc 4c (one pair, fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 20.20 BB.

In an effort not to be results oriented I'll just call down when villain 3 bets after I check raise with top 2 in future, correct?