Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: I think I push small edges too much in SSNL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bankroll
+EV is +EV... no?

[/ QUOTE ]
You need to look at the long hall. Yes, these situations are +EV and it can't be too bad to push in them. However, most opponents who will call a push with KQ here will also pay you off when you hit. So you can be MORE +EV by calling instead of pushing. They also will not protect their hands on the turn often even giving you a FREE look at the river. Also, if you are like me, losing a big pot to a guy who makes what should be a bad call with KQ here will likely set me tilting and I will lose much more money. So I have completely stopped making these pushes. I am happier and richer for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post
Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Re: I think I push small edges too much in SSNL

I think you're overestimating your opponents ability to lay down when your draws come in. Rather than pushing over the top with a flush draw and an overcard, just call. This is a lot more profitable in some situations, especially against the bad ones that can't fold TPTK no matter what the river brings. When you hit, you'll get a solid value bet out or nearly all of them, and stack the donkier ones. When you miss, you fold, top off, and go back to work. I typically only take the extremely aggressive line when I know my opponent is decent, which isn't all that often in the games I play in.