Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 02:19 AM

Default a very passively played flush draw

I love the way I played this hand. What do you all think?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero (poster) calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB
Old 01-07-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: a very passively played flush draw

you ain't kiddin

PPPassive PPPussy

raise flop
Old 01-07-2005, 02:25 AM

With a bettor right before me and two people left to act behind me, could you explain why raising the flop is better than calling?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:28 AM

Hey Gravy,

I'm raising the river. I like your flop play though, and the turn overcall isn't bad.

Rob
Old 01-07-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a bettor right before me and two people left to act behind me, could you explain why raising the flop is better than calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

you've got the obvious 9 flush outs and the backdoor straight draw as well as the Queen overcard.

the raise will not only give you value when you make your flush but also protects your hand for the turn and river. you could miss your flush but pick up top pair of queens on the turn, thus increasing your aggression. hands like ace/rag which people like play and see at least a turn with will fold the flop or turn due to your agression, so hypothetically if an ace were to hit on the river, you would know that your queens are probably the best hand.

hope this makes sense
Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 AM

OK, your thought process if definitely reasonable. Here's why I think calling the flop is better than raising:

1) If I raise, it's only a successful value raise if I get a coldcaller behind me.
2) I think my Q outs are probably clean anyways. QJ isn't going anywhere for 1 bet or 2, so I'll have to deal with that, but I'm not really worried about anyone having Q3 or Q6.
3) The scenario you suggest of a Q coming on the turn and an A on the river is very unlikely, and I'm probably raising the turn if a Q comes off anyway.

My reason for calling the turn:
1) If I raise it looks very obvious that I just hit my flush, and I push out most weaker holdings. The only place I lose bets is if the Ah or Kh are in the hands of the people left to act behind me.

I agree, Entity, a river raise is probably the way to go.

BTW the river aggressor flipped over A6o and MHIGoot.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Off Topic here

i'm just sayin how i woulda played it. i think i'm a little more aggressive. i tip my hat to you for winning the hand and a nice pot

anywho.....what does MHIG mean. i have a nice amt of posts here and i still have no idea?????
Old 01-07-2005, 02:56 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

You could raise the flop. The pot is big enough to try and maximize your chances should a Q hit.

You didn't. Ok.

Why in god's name you don't raise the turn is beyond me. I must've misread your hand. Your quads are good. I thought you had a Q high flush on a paired board with 8big bets in the pot.

b
Old 01-07-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why in god's name you don't raise the turn is beyond me. I must've misread your hand. Your quads are good. I thought you had a Q high flush on a paired board with 8big bets in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking something along these same lines. I typically raise the turn here. Also, I would definitely raise the river here.