Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Do you bet a non-nut flush like a set on a drawing board?

I know this depends a lot on opponents and stuff, but there is a typical path we take when we bet a set on a drawing board, and that is that we bet it hard.

When you flop the non-nut flush, say with QKs, do you bet it hard to keep the ace of that same suit from drawing? Or are you willing to check it into an opponent heads up? How about in a 3-way pot?

What about when you flop a baby flush, definitely bet it hard then, right?

I find myself playing my non-nut flushes (made with two hole cards) like I play a set on a drawing board. I bet it very hard and try to get all my money in on that flop. I also find this results in my opponents folding a lot and I feel like I may be missing some equity in simply smooth calling a bet or raise with a made flush.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Do you bet a non-nut flush like a set on a drawing board?

I'll generally bet out, however if theres a big raise I'm likely to just flat call the raise and get the money in on the turn.
Yes it does depend on opponents, If I think theres a good chance my opponent has the ace of the same suit I'll pot it with varied results, however if this happens Either way I'm happy. He folds I take down the pot, he doesn't fold and he gets no odds to draw, if a spade hits and I'm holding KQs and he plays aggressively, well he pretty much has to have it (on 200 nl or less anyway) and I can let it go, but to be honest he makes the flush few and far in between for me to want to push all in on the flop.

But generally at ssnl you're not wrong to try to get as much on the flop as possible, you'll see alot of tptk going all in on the flop (and sometimes to the turn) because they simply don't believe you can flop a flush.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Do you bet a non-nut flush like a set on a drawing board?

I will often play the nut flush hard as well, so that my opponents will get the money in with two pair / sets / baby flushes before the fourth heart comes to scare them away.