Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: 2004 World Series for the 1 Millionth Time on ESPN...A hand w/ Murphy.

[ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a mistake by Murphy. It was a great fold by Arieh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: 2004 World Series for the 1 Millionth Time on ESPN...A hand w/ Murphy.

I think that Murphy knows what type of player that Josh is, and played the "I am going all in cause Josh thinks to himself "why would he go all in if he actually had it," play.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:43 PM

"Weren't both those calls race situations? JJ is the FOURTH best hand to go to a race with. "

2nd best hand you mean
Old 07-19-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Weren't both those calls race situations? JJ is the FOURTH best hand to go to a race with. "

2nd best hand you mean

[/ QUOTE ]

AK vs KK is kinda a race
Old 07-19-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a mistake by Murphy. It was a great fold by Arieh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it was a great fold. However, I thik that there was a way to get his chips. And that was with a bet that appeared to be a blocking bet.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Stack Sizes and Pot Size?

Anyone know what were the two players' chip amounts and the size of the pot at the river? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: 2004 World Series for the 1 Millionth Time on ESPN...A hand w/ Mur

[ QUOTE ]
Most people are far too hard on Murphy for this hand. I think well over 90% of players would have called an all-in bet with a King-high flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

...but 99.9% of players would have bet after Murphy checked or raised after Murphy bet. Arieh is probably on a draw here, meaning you're not going to get any more money from him if he wasn't drawing to the flush, so why not put in a smallish blocking bet and let him think the hand that he's been going all this way trying to make is good?

I can't see how pushing is the best play if you put Arieh on a flush draw. Either way, great laydown by Arieh.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2nd best hand you mean

[/ QUOTE ]

AK vs KK is kinda a race

[/ QUOTE ]

a race where AK has to travel twice as far as KK maybe
Old 07-20-2005, 06:02 AM

Pushing is the best play if you are playing the type of opponent who will fold on the river there 0% of the time with a big flush. There are many players who fall under this category. I'm not saying by any means that I would play the hand as he did, but it's not as ridiculous as people make it sound.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Pushing is the best play if you are playing the type of opponent who will fold on the river there 0% of the time with a big flush. There are many players who fall under this category.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be sure, but I would argue that while there are few players who will fold a big flush at the end, there are even fewer players who won't raise what looks like a frightened probing bet at the end with a big flush or just check behind him if he checks.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying by any means that I would play the hand as he did, but it's not as ridiculous as people make it sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but then again in this spot it seems to me like there isn't a whole lot that you can do that is ridiculous, aside from folding.