Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: I\'ve Read Barry\'s Book

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. That is a huge huge reccomendation. You should tell his publisher to actually release the book. Its past the release date and still no word if its going out or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to amazon, mine was just shipped yesterday.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:35 AM

Did anyone else order through Conjelco? This is my first time buying through Conjelco, and I did so at the recommendation of a poster in a related thread since Amazon seemed backlogged. However, my order has been "awaiting processing" for quite some time now. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2005, 09:14 AM

Why did Barry put his face on the cover? Do we just assume that he is an egomaniac?
Old 07-03-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem I see in poker is that if you share too many trade secrets with the crowd, you basically risk going broke sooner or later.

[/ QUOTE ]
Remember the dude wearing a mask on FOX who did "Magic's Secrets Revealed"? Think he is out of business because every Grandpa who could find a quarter behind your ear is know crushing the magic business? No. But it does force everyone else in the business to raise their game (i.e. come up with better magic tricks).
Same issue here. Barry will force the other pros to elevate their game of suffer. As for Barry, he'll be fine.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did Barry put his face on the cover? Do we just assume that he is an egomaniac?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like a huge bilboard...
Old 07-03-2005, 10:27 AM

I guess you did not see the big picture behind it. The upside of sharing secrets is that more people will think that they play better. The downside is that a few people will actually do play better. I am sure Barry doesn't risk much, but the average "pro" will have a much tougher time grinding down the 10/20 game.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem I see in poker is that if you share too many trade secrets with the crowd, you basically risk going broke sooner or later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually many (most?) long term fishes probably know how to play atleast decent poker, but actually chose not to for various reasons. There is an entire section devoted to this in Psychology of Poker, and it's worth reading just for that bit.

Sometime in the late 1920s a reporter reputedly started a question posed to Sir Arthur Eddington with "I've been told that there are three people in the world who understand general relativity..."

Eddington got a very distracted look, and was silent for a long time. Finally the journalist asked if he had somehow offended Eddington, and got the reply "No, I'm trying to figure out who the third person is."

Just because the information is available doesn't mean it's understood and much less correctly applied. Even Einstein himself denied several of the, later accepted as correct, conclusions of his work.

For a more poker related spin on it: There is nothing I love more than the opponent who has read Super System and is trying to play like Doyle in the small stakes no limit hold'em games online. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's picture should he have put on the cover? Sklansky?

Dan Harrington's picture is on the cover of his books. Do we just assume that he is an egomaniac?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's picture should he have put on the cover? Sklansky?

Dan Harrington's picture is on the cover of his books. Do we just assume that he is an egomaniac?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, the cover should be a picture of this man:
Old 07-03-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In chess authors usually write positive reviews for each other in order to get a positive review on their own book. That's something like an unspoken agreement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm usually accused of only giving our books good ratings and everyone's else's bad ratings.

MM