Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Is this standard?

The preflop raiser has been looking to donk off his short stack the past two orbits. The cold-caller seems like a typical loose passive.

I'm new to playing NL cash games, but the opportunity for extra dead money in the pot seems to outweigh the risk of the cold-caller calling my raise with a higher PP.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($2.30)
BB ($43.42)
UTG ($14.80)
MP1 ($24.30)
MP2 ($43.70)
CO ($19.70)
Hero ($28.65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes $2.20 (All-In), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $2.05, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>...
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Is this standard?

Very gutsy, sir. I like it. No, I love it. And by no means is this standard. I hope you are wearing flame retardant underwear for future replies. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 11:50 PM

I normally play medium stakes limit games, so it's been a fun experience trying to learn some no limit.

I've found the Party 25 games different than what I expected. Despite the low stakes, people there tend to fold routinely to continuation bets. Most of my profit so far has been based on repeatedly picking up small pots after I raise preflop, whether I hit the flop or not. I would not have tried this play with 44 except for the fact that most of the passive players give up so often to big bets. I am still not sure it's that great of a play and it depends to a large extent on whether he would fold medium PPs here. The thing that pushed to making this play was that he was generally very passive, and so seemed like he psychologically didn't want to go broke on one hand. I, on the other hand, am happy to gamble it up with just the slightest EV edge. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 11:57 PM

you got some balls, amigo. haha no it's not standard at all, but i don't hate the play, mostly because it changes your table image. i wouldn't expect to get any respect with future preflop raises.

--solids
Old 12-08-2005, 12:05 AM

I think you are losing a lot of the value a small PP holds with taht play. Frankly, its not a great made hand, and playing it as such might hurt. What was your plan if villian called there?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:07 AM

I've just been sitting at random tables, but it seems like every table I sit at is filled with at least seven weak players. I get little action on my big hands despite the fact that I play a rather LAGgy style. At a couple of tables I played at, I took to raising every limped pot when I was on the button, and I am pretty sure it was profitable based on how often they would give up. On most of the other tables I have played at, this strategy isn't horrible. I'm still searching for the people giving away Christmas presents of $25 stacks.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:09 AM

I put villain all-in. I would not have made such a raise if villain had a bigger stack. I thought his stack was small enough that putting him all-in wasn't an overbet, whereas his stack was big enough that I had folding equity.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:22 AM

No and I dont like it, becuase your arent representing anything but your actual holdings. You would never limp AA KK there so dont try to rep. it
Old 12-08-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No and I dont like it, becuase your arent representing anything but your actual holdings. You would never limp AA KK there so dont try to rep. it

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness, I don't think my opponent has the slightest clue about hand reading. I agree that a halfway competent player would realize I don't have AA or KK there, but I don't assume 25NL players unless they give me reason to, especially when they are seeing 40% of the flops without raising any of them.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness, I don't think my opponent has the slightest clue about hand reading. I agree that a halfway competent player would realize I don't have AA or KK there, but I don't assume 25NL players unless they give me reason to, especially when they are seeing 40% of the flops without raising any of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this with AA or KK all the time. Not always, but probably half the time I overbet the raise. I dont like the move.