Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Weezer and Green Day are the defining bands of my generation...

[ QUOTE ]
As to my problems with Green Day: Dookie was by far their best album, and it ain't that great. If you think it is, listen to it tonight all the way through. I'm not saying it's a bad album; it's quite good; but Dookie is far from greatness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I listened to it again - I still think it's great.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, their increasing political activism is misplaced and I think in poor taste: their latest video with the soldiers in combat is just stupid with poor effects and the visuals don't relate to the music at all. It's a weak ploy to appear political. As long as we're talking about stupid Green Day concepts, let's address the "I Walk Alone" video. There's 3 of them walking, yet that line keeps getting repeated. Am I missing something? Isn't this kind of like calling your band The Lone Rangers? Is it supposed to be ironic? Back to topic: "Insomniac" was possibly the biggest musical dissapointment of my life, and I honestly feel that everything since has been worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, Longview and especially Basket Case were "great" videos (and these two songs are perfect examples of why you are talking about Green Day being a defining band of a generation - along with their latest album), but in terms of Green Day videos, it's been mostly downhill from there. I don't like most videos in general. I think it's hard to make a good video.

If you don't agree with their political leanings, that's really something else. I personally don't think "it" is misplaced or in poor taste. Maybe this is your real problem with them. Personally, I don't see how American Idiot doesn't go down as one of the greatest rock albums of all time (you ought to listen to all of it).

[ QUOTE ]
As to Weezer

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I expected too much of this band.

[/ QUOTE ]

After their debut and Pinkerton, it's kind of hard not too.

I don't think the Green Album is "awful", though it was not what I expected after hearing Hash Pipe (a great song) on the radio. In the long run, I thought Maladroit was more dissapointing. You ought to give their new album a chance though.

[ QUOTE ]
Disclaimer: I have not seen either of these bands live, and have only heard the singles from each's latest albums, not every track.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are great live, though I have seen Green Day once live when the sound was f'd up and they stunk. The other times I've seen them they sounded great. Ever see the video of them playing that Woodstock 25 years later or whatever it was?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't agree with their political leanings, that's really something else. I personally don't think "it" is misplaced or in poor taste. Maybe this is your real problem with them. Personally, I don't see how American Idiot doesn't go down as one of the greatest rock albums of all time (you ought to listen to all of it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm probably inclined to side with their political views. But that video is conceptually stupid; almost like they decided to make a strong point but didn't really know what the point is. Green Day seems more concerned with appearing political than having political beliefs.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this kind of like calling your band The Lone Rangers? Is it supposed to be ironic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Airheads did it first. And they did it better.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:17 PM

Pearl Jam and Nirvana dude...
Old 09-07-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Green Day seems more concerned with appearing political than having political beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listening to American Idiot or Holiday, do you feel unable to discern any of their political beliefs?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:28 PM

I can't think of any specific bands, but I find it depressing that the generation previous got to witness bands fantastic bands such as Styx, Bad Company, and Foriegner, while I (I'm 23), had to settle for Coal Chamber, Papa Roach, and Kid Rock.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Styx, Bad Company, and Foriegner

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 09-08-2005, 01:29 AM

did you miss the part where radiohead and nirvana were around (among others)?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:51 AM

I would say Nirvana and Pearl Jam defined the early nineties, along with some hip hop groups that warrant mention but I don't know rap well enough to confirm.

These days it's Green Day (sigh), U2, and Eminem. Nods also to Coldplay, Radiohead, and Primus [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And what exactly sucks about it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Green Day blows. That's what sucks. Dookie was a great album and then they rereleased it under different names every two years. Repetition does not a great band make.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false. The only subsequent album that sounded remotely like Dookie was Insomniac. Did you even listen to the others? B/c it sounds like you haven't. Warning and American Idiot sound nothing like Dookie.

P.S. Most of the posters in this thread need to get their heads out of their asses. There's a reason Green Day won all those Grammys this year. And it ain't cuz they suck.