Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Does Anyone here only play tourny\'s?

MTTs can be a great way to make money, but to play them exclusively, you need a very large bankroll (relatively speaking). An earlier poster mentioned playing small buy in events on pokerroom. As far as MTT strategies go, that strategy has the lowest variance. They are the only MTTs (that I have played) where you can play straight from TJs book and actually make money (you still need to steal aggressively later). The problem is, that if you want to advance, there isnt a logical next step with similar attributes. With other games, you can develop to a middle level with some hard work.

If you are making 10/hr playing 10$ SNGs, with some practice you can make 20$/h playing 20$.

If you can beat a 1/2 ring game for 5BB/Hr, you can develop into a 5BB/hr player at the next level.

With MTTs there isnt a smooth transiton. Even if you were a winning 100$ buy in player. You could easily go through 5 grand finding out.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:54 AM

I started out on Bugsy's Club. T10000 to start, 25/50 blinds. The players there are mostly thinking players, but a little bit too tight. When I'm in the zone, I can control the whole 2nd half of the tournament. When I started playing at Stars, I was surprised by the fishiness of most tournament players, even at decent buy-in levels. I've had to tighten up a lot to adjust.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:15 AM

The problem for me is that while HE ring games are very profitable, they bore the hell out of me. They're too monotonous. So now I only play SnG's and MTT. If i'm playing in a ring game, i'm playing stud, not Hold em'.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:42 AM

Interesting post. I am new to MTTs, but I don't think there is any greater feeling than doing well in these types of tourneys. I play SNGs mostly at the 30-50 level and have a decent ROE at this limit. Is there a way to gauge my perforance for MTTs in a similar manner, or is there just too much variance in performance given the size of these tourneys. I am using my SNGs and cash games to finance my MTTs. It seems as though you may wait a fair amount of time before getting paid.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:04 AM

I only play MTT's and a few SNG's. I have never even played a ring game once. Fortuantely I won a big one on party when I first started playing and had no clue. After that I just kept reading and playing lower limit tourneys. I think I was fortuante enough to get off to such a big start that I can afford the swings. Unlike most others though I play poker for fun and tournaments are what I like. Knowing what I know now I would of never started off just playing MTT's. I just got luckboxed a huge win right away and never looked back. Did I mention I am a luckbox? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 AM

I used to play a steady combo of SNGs MTTs and ring games. At the begining of last month I won two MTTs (1600 and 2200) on back to back weekends that mixed with a couple of high money finishes in a few 100s and I had a nice bankroll.

I had noticed that my 4/8 Stud game had dried up when I used to play. Didn't bother me I just added another MTT to my schedule. Of course a slow month of no final tables (and a wife [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) has eaten up a much bigger portion of my bankroll than I thought.

I'm not so sure I could hold up an only MTT schedule. Of course one win in the next week and I might sing a different tune. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In the meantime it's time to go back into a MTT + SNG schedule.