Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 03:40 PM

Default flopped set, action killer

3-6 NL, I limp UTG with 22, 2 limpers and tightish LP (made this pf raise with QQ and KK prior) makes its $30 to go with just over $600 behind him, I have him covered. Two of us on the flop of 2d 7d Ah. I check and he bets $40. Line for the rest of the hand?
Old 12-12-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Re: flopped set, action killer

Your biggest hope here is that he has AK, so I would play the hand with that in mind. (If he does have KK, QQ you wont get much from him).

I think I would call the flop and lead out for say 2/3 the pot on the turn.

Sly
Old 12-12-2004, 08:45 PM

Since AK is a very real possibility here why not lead into him for 2/3 of the pot on the flop, then either reraise or check raise the turn depending on how you think this player will react.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:57 AM

Lets state the obvious. You are conserned about him having trip Aces, you want him to have AK, and you won't get much $ from him if he has KK or QQ, unless he snags winning trips with it. So you want to minimize the damage from AA, maximize the reward for AK, and get something from KK or QQ.

There is also an implied assumption you made: since he's only raised so far with premium hands you can reasonably deduce he's NOT the kind of player to make a big bluff bet late in the hand; nor will he make a big-bet on the end with AK. Therefore, fearing losing all your chips to AA is unfounded: you figure to fold to a real big raise later.

Try to maximize his presumed AK, which means don't make any real big bets.

I think he's more likely to call you down if you bet into him, although CR gets a little money if he has KK.

- Louie