Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Final Table Bubble Hand

This is a hand from last night's Stars 20NL, 11 left, 4k for 1st. I am 7th in chips but obviously short. There are three stacks under 25k on the other table. The previous orbit the SB open limped on my BB, I pushed with an Ace and took down the pot (I did not show.)

This time he limps again. Is this a no-brainer Tarzan or should I take another line?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t6000 (5 handed) converter

SB (t112504)
Hero (t42816)
UTG (t178016)
MP (t108312)
Button (t71654)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???
Old 05-25-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Final Table Bubble Hand

I would be worried about him limping for the 2nd time in a row as he knows that you are capeable of pushing. He could have a big hand, but in your spot, you need the chips. I guess a case can be made for seeing a flop and pushing if there is only one overcard. I think simply pushing preflop is just fine, too.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be worried about him limping for the 2nd time in a row as he knows that you are capeable of pushing. He could have a big hand, but in your spot, you need the chips. I guess a case can be made for seeing a flop and pushing if there is only one overcard. I think simply pushing preflop is just fine, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, let's say I take the check and see the flop line.

What do I do if the flop comes J high (only overcard) and villain:

1) Bets 12k into me.
2) Puts me all in.

Same question but flop is A or K high.

BTW, Villain is on the LAGgy side....
Old 05-25-2005, 02:53 PM

if you're not going to push preflop, i think you are committed to a flop that only has one overcard (or if you flop an oesd or set). If you are going to fold to a small bet postflop with one overcard vs. a lag, i think you are playing too weak tight. Is there a big jump for final table money?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:21 PM

Typical top loaded final table pay structure.

I know I am probably committed to the hand, the limp sent my alarm bells ringing however....
Old 05-25-2005, 03:45 PM

I agree that if villain had a monster, he'd more likely limp than raise, but he also could have limped with a weaker hand hoping you would think exactly what you're thinking.

Also, he could have a hand where he just wants to see the flop cheaply and doesn't want to raise because he knows you're very capable of pushing, and this capability is slowing is LAG tendencies.

Or maybe he thinks he's trapping you with a big ace.

You're on a small stack and there's too many reasons to push your 8's preflop. Go with it.