Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2002, 03:04 PM

Default TeddyKGB\'s last hand in Rounders

In one of the last scenes in Rounders, TeddyKGB throws his cards on the table after the nut straight is revealed. There has been a lot of supposition posted about what his cards were so I did a screen (see below) shot of the divx version of the movie using Premiere. It looks like a pair of tens in the screen shot - can someone who as seen the script verify this?

Old 11-17-2002, 03:35 PM

Default doesn\'t say in the screenplay......................

this whole movie, as good as it was for poker, was pretty lame. How many people would have went broke on that hand with the stack sizes as big as they were. 50-100 blinds 300x the blind or more in front of you. Not to mention the totally amatuer tells Mike gave off. His play through the whole hand screams monster. I also like how he has unreal wins time after time. Example the cop game, he was up $4200 in a $20-40 game after 5-6 hours at the most. Not impossible just one hell of a monster session. Overall it was an entertaining flick and I heard that there is a sequel in the works.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:07 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: doesn\'t say in the screenplay......................

my guess is top set....

"Not to mention the totally amatuer tells Mike gave off. His play through the whole hand screams monster"

this is based on 1 hand that youre seeing out of about 8 hours of play...if you sat there that long, fatigue can set in and you can miss the obvious...

a real life example? the world poker championship that hmberto won over erik seidel....i put a post on it....i watched the last 15-20 mins of it and read both players on the last hand. it was obvious ot me...but i wasnt there playing for however long it took to get to the final table...

one thing this movie didnt show, which saved about 10+ hours, was the amount of folding and waiting that goes into winning play. there's mention of it, but they dont show it..

it wouldnt be much of a movie to show all the sessions these guys were playing. so they only showed the winning sessions minus one when he got bluffed off a pot...

who wants to watch losing sessions? not the average moviegoer...

would many have gone broke on that final hand as you said? well, ive never played for that high a stake, but ive read enough about it that , yes, some will. and the longer some play, the more careless some play. how many times has someone gone broke for a lesser amount, but relative to their bankroll? if they even had a BR....alot...ever played with an addict on a LL table? they can really be pathetic. but profitable [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

not even some of the best players are immune to this...

again see the seidel example....noo way he shouldve called humberto's bet. even though it 'was' a tourney, fatigue is fatigue, and bad judgement is bad judgement...

just some thoughts

b
Old 11-17-2002, 04:21 PM

Default the last bet.................

Let's assume KGB has top set. He puts Mike on a draw. There is no reason to drastically overbet the pot here. If he raed Mike for a busted draw why move in. That's just bad poker. There is no way he'll call, why not bet a lesser amount? The only time you are gonna get called here is when you are beat. Remember we're talkin about the best players in the NY underground here.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:25 PM

i also think due to the situation they couldn't really be read as tells. mikey seemed to be a fairly straight forward player in teddy's mind. he probably read mikey's "tells" as frustrations, knowing that if he doesn't hit this so called draw, he's seriously screwed, but he had no other plays, as the clock was ticking.

plus teddy was pretty damn cocky.

one thing i'd also like to stress... IT'S A MOVIE!!!!! this reminds me of the sci-fi geeks that pick apart sci-fi movies. "there is no way that class IV starcruiser could make that jump to light speed that close to a blackhole!!" (complete with nasally voice, and snorty laughs)

heh, i enjoyed it for what it was... a movie.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:58 PM

Default Glad someone else noticed

I'm just glad somebody else noticed the huge wins they were having in 20-40, Mike had that one w/the cops for $4200, and even before that worm (even though he was cheating)won $8K. If poker were only as easy as in the movie...

-D.J.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:02 PM

I realize it is just a movie. However I expected more with Johnny Chan as a consultant to the film. Mike Caro would have a field watching these guys play. On another note, it would be cool if the DVD had some extra stuff on poker or the 98 WSOP since Damon and Norton entered and all.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:32 PM

Well, it's true. A Class IV Starcruiser could never achieve light speed in close proximity to a black hole. How could you possibly maintain the proper matter-antimatter blance within the gravitational wake? Is the ship supposed to have some kind of "quantum singularity nullifier"? Hah! A Class IV Starcruiser could never have something that technologically advanced.

Old 11-17-2002, 07:28 PM

Default Re: TeddyKGB\'s last hand in Rounders

It's a movie, get over it. Either you liked it or you didn't.

FWIW, Teddy had Top 2 pair, Aces and Tens.

Old 11-17-2002, 08:12 PM

Default Re: TeddyKGB\'s last hand in Rounders

What if I liked part of it, but not another part? Seriously, what is the harm of discussing it?

FWIW, it sure looks like he's tossing 10s on the table, which would have meant he flopped trips (flop was 6 7 10 rainbow) turn 2c, river Ace spades.

What I don't is that Teddy goes on and on about Mike flopping a draw. Since the flop was rainbow a draw could only have meant he put Mike on 45 or 58. Its hard to believe he narrowed Mike's holding down to those two hands but never considered that he could have held the 89.