Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Question to David Sklansky re. Something You Said About IQ/Poker

Mr. Sklansky:

I thought it might be useful to ask you this by separate post.

You recently said about some top level players: "[t]heir greatest asset is in fact that they are very smart. The average IQ of the players in the 4000-8000 game is well above 140."

You believe there is a high correlation between IQ and poker ability, one that you describe as the "greatest asset" of at least two (and presumably many more) top level players. I do not doubt this, but I have two very specific questions to pose to you:

1) How do you know that "[t]he average IQ of the players in the 4000-8000 game is well above 140?"

2) Is it possible, in your opinion, for a player in the range of 115-125 or so to be a top level or world-class poker player?

Thank you very much for reading this post and for your anticipated response. I appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Question to David Sklansky re. Something You Said About IQ/Poker

He knows because of their scores on the HLPPAT (High Limit Poker Players Admissions Test), for which an acceptable score correlates to at least an IQ of 140. Obviously, all of the players had to pass in order to even be sitting down at the 4k/8k game.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:14 PM

A player with a 140+ IQ would know the answer
intuitively. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
intuitively. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess my 134 isnt good then [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. ohhh yeah, i forgot i dont really have the bankroll to play in a 4000/8000 dollar game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2005, 10:38 PM

Being smart, in regards to poker success is like being very fast or very strong regarding being a good linebacker. The smarter you are the greater your chances for success.

The reason why this is not well recognized is because:

A. Most really smart people are not that good at poker

B. Most excellent poker players are not really smart.

Some, (not so smart) people think that A and B combined imply that being really smart is of no great value to being a poker player. I often see both points made on these and other forums. Hopefully you see the fallacious reasoning.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A. Most really smart people are not that good at poker

B. Most excellent poker players are not really smart

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about a fallacious statement. Or is that facetious? Does anyone see anything wrong with David's pictorial here? "Most really smart people are not really good at poker". Well, now what does that mean? It certainly doesn't mean that most smart people are not capable at being good at poker. Does it? Of course not. What it probably means is that most smart people are too smart to waste their time learning to be good at poker. Not being smart myself, I am just guessing. Just guessing is what "not smart" people do.

If David's second statement is correct "Most excellenat poker players are not really smart" one must then consider just what it takes to be an excellent poker player. According to Sklansky "brains" are not a prerequisite. All I can say to that is "Thank God". I think I've picked a game that suits my ability or inaability as the case may be. Thanks to David I feel like I have a chance to succeed at this "not so smart people's" game!
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Vince
Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to say "Do you see why?"
Old 01-05-2005, 12:07 AM

The way I read it is as follows:

Let's say you have 100 random people. Perhaps 1 of them has what it takes to be a great poker player. Now, let's take a group of 100 people with high IQ's -- whatever the number is, it's at least 2 (i.e. more) have the chance to be a great poker player.

Most people aren't smart.
Most people aren't good poker players.

HOWEVER, as in most things in life, being intelligent increases your chances of excellence.

THAT is his point, I believe, not that all great poker players are smart/not smart or that all smart people will automatically make great poker players.

My apologies to David if I completely butchered his point.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-05-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My apologies to David if I completely butchered his point

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you completely butchered his point can we assume that you are not smart enough to play poker?

Vince
Old 01-05-2005, 12:44 AM

and "It Depends"