Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Does a tiny baiting river bet ever work?

Link doesn't work.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Link doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Copied and pasted from MS Word copy. Try this one copied from the Archives.

Pussy Link

I checked this link before posting and this should take you right there.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:10 PM

Ghaz,

with regard to the weak lead oop i think this is a great play to use against an agressive opponent and FAR superior than checking to induce a bluff from an aggro opponent. sometimes when i am oop against an aggro opponent and i have been betting the whole way and i feel like he is on a draw....i check. then i puke b/c i keep telling my self i should have be weak into the pot. the weak bet still gives our aggro villain a chanve to bluff at the pot, plus if he improved to some sort of weak hand. e.g. Kxx flop two tone and say he is calling with A10s and rivers a ten, checking to induce a bluff here is horrible, and i am pissed when i do it, if i bet weak he can still bluff with a missed draw but he can also look me up with some weak hand he "accidentally" made along the way. not to mention some of the time my read is off or it is a stubborn QQ JJ, who then sends me an x-mas card for giving him a cheaper showdown.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ghaz,

with regard to the weak lead oop i think this is a great play to use against an agressive opponent and FAR superior than checking to induce a bluff from an aggro opponent. sometimes when i am oop against an aggro opponent and i have been betting the whole way and i feel like he is on a draw....i check. then i puke b/c i keep telling my self i should have be weak into the pot. the weak bet still gives our aggro villain a chanve to bluff at the pot, plus if he improved to some sort of weak hand. e.g. Kxx flop two tone and say he is calling with A10s and rivers a ten, checking to induce a bluff here is horrible, and i am pissed when i do it, if i bet weak he can still bluff with a missed draw but he can also look me up with some weak hand he "accidentally" made along the way. not to mention some of the time my read is off or it is a stubborn QQ JJ, who then sends me an x-mas card for giving him a cheaper showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "weak bet".

You bring up a good point, but I am talking about making a bet that isn't even worth the money if called, only if bluff-raised. But maybe that answers the question. H

ow much you'd make betting 1/5 3 times, versus 3/5 every time. Maybe the 3/5 would be called often enough to make it profitable.

But I've been VERY aware of my WAWB situations lately, and there is no reason to make a standard bet in that situation because it is only called/raised when you're behind.

I'm not looking for a solution for what to do on every river situation, just the ones where you have a good read on your opponent and "know" that he has nothing.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM

rwanger,

by weak bet i mean 1/5 pot or so. when i make this bet i am almost certain he was on a draw. if i make a 3/5 pot bet and he has made a weak hand like middle pair how often is he calling? well this is opponent dependant but i have no way of knowing he has made a weak hand, sure if i knew it he rivered 2PTK, or was a stubborn qq etc. i would make a larger bet; but, since i think he is almost always on air i like the 1/5 bet.

when u say weak bet do u mean a bet weaker than 1/5? i rarely, if ever, make a bet less than 1/5 pot and hardly ever make a 1/5 pot bet. but i think 1/5 pot bet has value when villain has made very weak hand that has some showdown value. if nothing else he may calling thinking "hey i have a pair and it is only x amount of dollars to call", and really think nothing of the call; whereas hero can squeak out a little more value from what is essentially a missed draw.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:22 PM

bet pot. make it look like a bluff and hope to get called by a weaker hand. I have almost never seen anyone check raise when someone on the end bets a small bet.

Pretend you are in EP and have mid pair. Why on earth would someone who could just check it at the end bet 1/5 pot? its too small for a bluff. its too small for value.

At least if u bet pot ur opponent has to decide if its a bluff or value bet. If you can make it look like a missed flush draw or something thats even better.

The only time I could ever consider betting a small ammount is against an uber donkey that reraises ANY small bet. I would also have to read that he doesn't have a hand and would fold if I potted it to him so they only way to get money in is to induce a bluff.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're in position and it gets checked to you. Does it work to make a tiny bet, hoping for someone to try and bluff raise you off your hand?

Is this just crazy enough to work?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my exprience no, not many ppl check/raise to re-steal on the river with air. It just doesn't happen very often at all. And when u do get CR big, u might even be beat. Bad idea.