Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: continuationbet... no good?

Depends a lot on the texture of the board. I rarely continuation bet unimproved e.g. on a board of 9tx twotone, but on a dry board like this I would bet against just about every opponent.

And certainly raise with any number of limpers.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 PM

Super weak tight, eh? Well, upon running a few thousand hands through poker tracker, I found one of my biggest leaks was broadway cards: KQ, KJ, QJ, etc. A lot of people overplay these cards, and they don't realize that they're not even ahead of A2 offsuit. These cards NEED a flop to help them or they can't win, and sometimes need much more than top pair, so why raise them OOP? If you raise in EP or MP and button calls, and the flop comes K high rainbow, what do you do if you're raised? What happens if you're called? Do you decide to commit a large amount of chips with top pair/ok kicker?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Super weak tight, eh? Well, upon running a few thousand hands through poker tracker, I found one of my biggest leaks was broadway cards: KQ, KJ, QJ, etc. A lot of people overplay these cards, and they don't realize that they're not even ahead of A2 offsuit. These cards NEED a flop to help them or they can't win, and sometimes need much more than top pair, so why raise them OOP? If you raise in EP or MP and button calls, and the flop comes K high rainbow, what do you do if you're raised? What happens if you're called? Do you decide to commit a large amount of chips with top pair/ok kicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the previous poster was refering to raising these cards in position. Raising these hands and even calling raises with hands like these in the blinds or early position is definitely not optimal, but we were referring to raising limpers when we are CO or on the button.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Full ring limping standards are very different from 6 max limping standards, KJ is way ahead against most villains, and you're also in position.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:27 PM

I don't mind his raise in the CO in the first hand, but I don't like it in the second when it's not suited and he's in the CO. Also, you said KJ is ahead of most villains. This is true. However, it's not ahead against most villains who will call a 4xBB PFR.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, you said KJ is ahead of most villains. This is true. However, it's not ahead against most villains who will call a 4xBB PFR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...at these stakes, this is simply not true.

Also, you can take pots away with position which make your cards that much less relavant.