Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Giving up small pots - theoretical question

Hey MHUSH,

I'm currently LAGing it up at 15/30 and 20/40. You've seen my spew-fest posts recently, i'm certainly no model of weak-tight TAG play.

But something's bothering me, and it's that my play is changing to the point where i give up small pots. Here's why:

70/35/3 lag open-limps on the button. TAGy guy completes, I knock QTo in the BB.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Tag checks, I check, LAG bets.

Now, the LAG is betting every single time here, regardless of his holding. I've seen him autobet every time when checked to. I also know he doesn't have an Ace, because he'd raise any ace preflop.

But i can't do anything about it! In this instance, I decided to take a stand. I c/r, he calls. I bet the turn(blank), he raises. I fold. He shows KTo. I tell him he had the best hand, and he continues to gloat over his "bluff."

But if he had 93 he'd call down. If he had K6 he might raise the turn or call down. If he has any draw he's throwing another semibluff raise in there somewhere.

Now it certainly would have been cheaper to just c/f the flop. But how much am I giving up by c/fing every flop I miss? These guys are really starting to mess with my head.

I understand intellectually that if it were a TAG vs TAG battle where neither of us pays off any more than our cards make us, the game would be won and lost in the small pots. But, against these unfoldable megalags, do I make up more than I give away by value-betting when I actually hit a hand? I'm starting to wonder.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf