Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Am I correct to slow-play here?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Explain to me again why you want players with worse hands to fold when they have incorrect odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what was meant was that by not raising here, you would be giving mid/bottom pair hands a good price to stick around. Raising, on the other hand, would either fold them out, or let them call when they are making a mistake (so obviously we would want them to call if we were to raise, as you suggest).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my fault for the confusion. I obviously want 56 to call if I raise here to 1/2 pot.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:22 PM

right logic, wrong answer.

consider the following two scenarios:

TT on T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flop

and

AK on A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flop

which one should you slowplay? why?

getting the answer to the above will show you why you shouldn't have slowplayed here.

fim
Old 07-07-2005, 09:03 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
right logic, wrong answer.

consider the following two scenarios:

TT on T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flop

and

AK on A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flop

which one should you slowplay? why?

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel like a donkey for saying this, but I want to slowplay both. By slowplay in hand 1 I mean betting little enough that I think oponent will call with a pure straight or flush draw. That can range from quite small to going all in of course. I'm not checking though, since board making three flushes and -straights will kill my action from a lot of hands, and since I want to charge overpairs (don't need to charge them much to make a call incorrect, but need to charge them some still.) And because checking the flop on a paired board and then giving crazy action on a flush turn looks looks too much like a boat. Oh well, it really depends on the situation if I want to play this hand slow or fast. I guess most of the time, I want to get money in while the overpairs and 8x's don't see a three-flush or three-straight on the board, and just hope the drawers come along for the ride as well.

You only get action from handsyou beat or split with if you fast play hand 2 (and maybe AQ-AJ if villains are the right kind), and oponents are drawing to 3 outs at most. Slowplay/pot control looks good.

OP: Why did you min-raise preflop?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:34 PM

Don't. Minraise.

If you're going to minraise, don't do it preflop.

If you're going to minraise preflop, don't do it with AK. This all assumes you like money... if you don't like money, by all means, continue with your play so far.

Raise to at least 4BB at those stakes preflop with that hand.

In this hand, you've hit the flop extremely hard. Raise. You have three people in the pot with you, one of whom has already bet, you're probably going to get action, and at those stakes most players will call almost pot sized bets with flush draws.

The reason you're doing this is because lots of hands you are absolutely murdering are going to call here, and this way you're making lame two pair draws pay a premium to suck out on you. Most importantly though, Kings are paying you off, some PPs will pay you off, straight draws pay you off, and in the rare circumstances you're against a set, you're still better than 30% to pull off the suck out, anyway. AND, when that flush card does come, the fish with the flush draw behind you is going to be crying for days when he just siphons off his stack into yours. That feeling, that one of just owning someone so badly that he's left desperately sobbing in the corner, is one of the best parts of playing poker.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:48 PM

ram and jam that pot on the flop dude, raise the mini-bet to about 1.50 or so on the flop, a lot of hands pay you off. You don't want "customers" for your TPTK hand with a redraw. a lot of hands pay you off, and you want get flush draws pot committed so if they hit the smaller flush they are pushing their chips to you. I would not want 3 other opponents to see the turn card with me.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OP: Why did you min-raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite recall what I raised PF. it was probably a minraise, because I tend to play AK suited like I'm at a limit table, I like to go for a large family pot that may pay me off if I hit my flush. This is wrong though, and I really should raise at least 2.5XBB PF and play it for high hand strength. But anyway...if it folds to me in the CO, I'll always minraise AK.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AND, when that flush card does come, the fish with the flush draw behind you is going to be crying for days when he just siphons off his stack into yours. That feeling, that one of just owning someone so badly that he's left desperately sobbing in the corner, is one of the best parts of playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

D@mn...

About the PF 4xbb raise, I don't really like it b/c when I raise big like that I always seem to get jokers who've bought in short and like to push with 33 in their hand here. It depends on the texture of the table of course. But at such a weak level, I don't tend to go for winning races to double up. No need to put yourself in those spots.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:11 PM

depends on number of callers.

if its HU or maybe 3 way, then I might play it like you did, but anymore and I definitely raise.