Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-29-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Calling all guitar players

I got a weird problem with my guitar and I can't figure it out. I'll tune my low E so that it is perfect but when I play the third fret the G is sharp by quite a bit. All other notes are fine, the F# and G#, and the frets look good. What the hell is going on here and how do I fix it? Anyone know?

NSFW pics for your time.

School girl (NSFW)

Hot chick (NSFW)

Another hot chick (nsfw)
Old 12-29-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Calling all guitar players

take it to a guitar shop and try to get it setup - you may have a bad neck/bridge and are pushing too hard on the string.

Or you could just have a worn fret there -

shouldn't cost much to fix though - at best you're talking about replacing what, one fret?

If you're in Minneapolis, or St. Paul -(I think you are) - look up Shapiro's Guitar Repair - (AKA Moses Oakland - bluesman) - he's fixed a LOT of my stuff over the year, and if there's a balance or neck problem, he'll get it easy...

He's in the Podium Music area on University East of Dinkytown.

RB
Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 AM

What's the guitar and model? When did this start to happen? How many cents sharp is it?

It's quite odd to have the 2nd and 4th frets in tune, but the 3rd fret out (barring a fret problem). Did you try a new string? Sometimes kinks can cause small problems in the bass strings.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 AM

Does it sound the same as your G# (next fret up)? This is the most likely situation as that's a very commonly used fret, and could be worn out.

NT
Old 12-29-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or you could just have a worn fret there -

shouldn't cost much to fix though - at best you're talking about replacing what, one fret?

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what has me nervous. The frets look fine.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the guitar and model? When did this start to happen? How many cents sharp is it?

It's quite odd to have the 2nd and 4th frets in tune, but the 3rd fret out (barring a fret problem). Did you try a new string? Sometimes kinks can cause small problems in the bass strings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than 2 hours on the current string, Gibson songbird acoustic. It's like an 1/8th of a step sharp, (rough guess).

Could this be a problem with the neck?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:41 AM

check with Leonard...

nearly cracked the headstock of my les paul clean off, and he was able to repair the neck without replacing it...

RB
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than 2 hours on the current string, Gibson songbird acoustic. It's like an 1/8th of a step sharp, (rough guess).

[/ QUOTE ]
What method of checking your tuning are you using, and are you sure the 4th fret is in tune and not sharp as well?

Also, did you change to a heavier gauge set of strings?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What method of checking your tuning are you using, and are you sure the 4th fret is in tune and not sharp as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just using my ear, I have perfect pitch.

I actually just changed the E with a lower gauge than what I normally use. It was a loose spare I had lying around and I meant it as a temporary fix untill I change all my strings at once. All my other strings are real old and need to be replaced.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just using my ear, I have perfect pitch.

I actually just changed the E with a lower gauge than what I normally use. It was a loose spare I had lying around and I meant it as a temporary fix untill I change all my strings at once. All my other strings are real old and need to be replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, and the 2nd and 4th frets are perfectly in tune? If it were a neck problem, more than one fret would be affected. If it's an intonation problem (i.e., string gauge change), the same applies. If it's only one fret, it's either a fret problem or a kink in the string.