Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-28-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Restealing.

This is an aspect of the game where i would like to get better. I know a lotta ppl think that defending blinds in NL is not a big deal, but i think it is.
For me reraising against a button or CO raise normally requires me to have....2 cards, unless the LP raisers havent done it very often.
I would like to know what kinda hands ppl resteal or defend their blinds with against habitual stealers, i think i do it more aggressively than is optimal.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Restealing.

I think the best idea is to resteal from any position - don't make it about defending blinds all the time, with the obvious care that the position and tendencies of the original raiser necessitate. Also, limp-reraising w. hands other than AA or KK can be included in this strategy.

I'm far from an expert, bash away everyone.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:15 PM

Re-stealing out of position (like in the blinds or by limp/re-raising in EP) does not seem like a very profitable strategy to me against good opponents. Basically he is saying "I want to play a big pot in position" by raising and you are saying "Fine, let's play a really big pot when you have position". Unless the guy has shown that he will fold too often pre- or post-flop, in which case fine run him over, it just seems like a bad idea. Good players will obviously catch on to the fact that you don't always have premium hands in these spots and they will let you hang yourself since your only way to win the hand will be to get them to fold. It's just ugly playing 67o out of position against a preflop raiser when you completely miss the flop. Seems like you are just bloating the pot for them to win it postflop since they are playing with position and most likely the best hand, too.

I'd rather counteract the fact that people 'steal' my blinds by attacking other people when I have position. That way I put THEM in the squeeze mentioned above.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:28 PM

This is my new obsession, mostly only in live games, where you get ideal conditions: bad players, lots of limpers/dead money. I've started doing this a lot more out of the blinds/button etc. I really don't pick hands per se, as imo this is a bluff, but I feel better doing it with pairs, Ax, two big cards. There is a lot of dead money to be had. Especially in straddled pots.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like you are just bloating the pot for them to win it postflop since they are playing with position and most likely the best hand, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all. You need to consider how often they fold; they're not going to call a big reraise even with position just hoping to call a big flop bet to take it away. Very risky, and alot of players dont have the balls for that.

Think of the math too; if someone raises pot, (35) sb folds, there is 50 out there. if you make it, say, 150, (bigger then pot) if he folds 75% you break even on this alone. Vs a perpetual blind stealer, attempt to steal blinds pretty high, they will fold often.

Also, keep in mind sometimes you show down best hand or win it on the flop, but we're focusing on pf.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an aspect of the game where i would like to get better. I know a lotta ppl think that defending blinds in NL is not a big deal, but i think it is.
For me reraising against a button or CO raise normally requires me to have....2 cards, unless the LP raisers havent done it very often.
I would like to know what kinda hands ppl resteal or defend their blinds with against habitual stealers, i think i do it more aggressively than is optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you resteal like this with any 2 cards, how does the hand play out when villain calls on the button and you miss the flop?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Right, i dont like reraising with a small pp against an aggressive player..dont wanna get 3bet with that hand, if i flop a set and know hes gonna keep firing.....
Old 11-28-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, i dont like reraising with a small pp against an aggressive player..dont wanna get 3bet with that hand, if i flop a set and know hes gonna keep firing.....

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's so aggressive, won't you be moved off of most of your resteals anyway unless you nail the flop?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:46 PM

Personally I tend not to think of it as defending the blinds per se as attacking an opponent who is overplaying his cards too often, the $ in the pot is somewhat irrelevant because any substantial reraise on your part will probably put you over 10x the size of the bb for your bet. That said, I tend to make my initial 2 or 3 reraises of an opponent with basically any 2 and then tighten up to pairs over 8 or 9, AX & the bigger suited connects, 89, 910, etc so that I'll have a bit more chance of hitting something if I'm called and see a flop. Usually the pyschology of serial blind thieves tends to run in reverse of this trend, they assume the first few reraises were legit and now, liking the taste of it, I'm stealing.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's so aggressive, won't you be moved off of most of your resteals anyway unless you nail the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily..if he is extremely aggressive ill often open push flop with Ace high if i reraised pf, or check raise push with such if i just called his raise pf.
I think the range of resteals depends on the player against who does it.
For example, if he will raise on the button but will fold to a reraise continuously..ill never stop, if he will occasionally reraise ill do it with hands i dont necessarily wanna see a flop with, but can play post flop such as 45o, A7 etc.
If he will reraise with anything all the time...ill raise with any pp, any decent ace and move in if he raises...