Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-12-2005, 05:26 PM

Default KK in BB, flopped third K

Hey, I am usually very am very aggressive and deliberate, but this hand I decided to try and go for overcalls on the flop. Was this play ok? Should I have been afraid of the raise behind me the turn?

Ultimate Bet 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (26.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 37.50 BB
Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: KK in BB, flopped third K

no, you are costing yourself a whole lot by not raising that flop. your hand is far from invincible, but on the flop you have the nuts in a huge pot. several players will coldcall two here incorrectly. then you also failed to raise the turn.

then you raised the river and lost many bets vs. a straight. hehehehe he he he he heh.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:32 PM

When would be a time that I should try to get overcalls? If that isn't a time I should, when is? When I'm at higher limits?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:36 PM

when you flop quads would be a good time. or Kxx, where the x is a small card. forgetting that this is .05/.10, where you'll get called on this flop by many many hands, the point is that a KQx flop offers many gutshots that you would like to protect against.

AJ, AT, T9, J9. they will make bad calls if you raise. if you don't raise they are correct in calling.

now, remembering that it is .05/.10 you want to get value from pocket pairs, Kx, Qx, xx, that will call millions of bets on the flop for no reason.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When would be a time that I should try to get overcalls? If that isn't a time I should, when is? When I'm at higher limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

For instance I remember this from the small stakes holdem book: the board has 4 to a flush and you have a flush king high. A player bets out and you are second to act. If you raise now, you can get reraised and lose more bets to the ace high flush, or make others fold because of your raise. If you call you lose less when behind and make more when ahead encouraging other callers.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For instance I remember this from the small stakes holdem book: the board has 4 to a flush and you have a flush king high. A player bets out and you are second to act. If you raise now, you can get reraised and lose more bets to the ace high flush, or make others fold because of your raise. If you call you lose less when behind and make more when ahead encouraging other callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't quite the same thing. In your example, you're already behind. In this hand you have the nuts.

Any time there is two broadway cards on the board in a field this big, you can guarantee that someone has a straight draw. Make sure everyone pays the maximum to try to beat you.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can slowplay the flop when it's completely drawless and is likely to have missed everyone. You need to think about the pot size (it's big now) and the types of hands players are likely to have (broadway cards hit lots hands).

K72 rainbow is a flop where you might consider slowplaying.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:48 AM

Was just rereading SSHE last night and when the pot is small, you can slowplay. Protect large pots, especially ones with coordination. Someone holding 4 to the str8 is a possibility with that flop.