Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-14-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Need advice on first live MTT

I plan on heading to AC to play in the Taj's $100+20 MTT on saturday morning in a few weeks. I've never played a live MTT, but have played 15-20 online MTTs. I have treated the beginning of the MTTs much like a SNG, playing pretty tight to not spew chips but loosen up a few levels in.

How should I start the live MTT? Rounds are 20 or 25 minutes, but you obviously don't get as many hands, so you may need to make some moves early. Am I wrong or right here? What is the best way to get off to a good start in one of these live MTTs? Thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Need advice on first live MTT

Or not...guess nobody can even give me a sentence of advice.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How should I start the live MTT? Rounds are 20 or 25 minutes, but you obviously don't get as many hands, so you may need to make some moves early. Am I wrong or right here? What is the best way to get off to a good start in one of these live MTTs? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the stack size, blinds and overall structure. But you may not have to get off to a good start in this live mtt to win.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:02 PM

I'll give you a sentence or two.

First, the levels will seem much longer and the play will seem much, much slower than your online experience. Obvious, but worth mentioning.

Do not assume everyone at your table knows how to count. People make mistakes and put the wrong amount of chips in from time to time.

When someone sucks out on you say something like "nice hand, nice catch, use the chips well," etc. or nothing at all.

Be patient with the dealers and with other players.

Depending on the number of entrants, it may be worthwhile to hit the restroom just before breaks begin. Sometimes missing a round of blinds is a fair trade.

Generally speaking I think you have the right strategy, but you should be flexible with regard to your table situation. Don't be too predictable.

Edit: Regarding fewer hands, etc... Keep an eye on relative stack size at your table. Also get a feel for who likes to mix it up and who's playing not to lose. Pick your spots early and focus on building your stack in the middle rounds.

Good luck and have fun. Not sure if this is what you were looking for.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:02 PM

Ok, start with 5000 chips, blinds start at 25-50 and rounds are 20 minutes.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:07 PM

20 minute rounds? That's like four or five hands per round. Yikes.

Okay a slight hyperbole. Still, you won't get around the table each round.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:15 PM

I always try to play tight and aggressive the first few rounds. Hopefully you can pick up some hands and build your stack for when then blinds start getting out of control. After the first few levels I start trying to steal a few blinds, if I get a big enough stack. If I never pick up a hand and am getting low, I will try to take a stab at the pot (by moving in) when there are tighter players in the blinds. The biggest thing is trying to get a read on how everyone plays the first few rounds and use that info in the later rounds. Good Luck.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:28 PM

check to see what the trop's Saturday morning is. Their schedule has changed so I don't remember the new morning event, but their levels are usually min 45 mins. With 20 minute levels you will have to abandon your S&G strategy and be very agressive early. Problem is, that is when the donks are still in.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:37 PM

The trop tournaments are 20 minute levels for the first half, then 25 minute levels after that. Damn. Seems like a real crapshoot.

maybe I'll save that $120 and use it towards satellites to the Stars WCOOP tournaments.