Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Was asked to coach another player last night, now what?

So I am playing next to one of the regulars in my normal game. He is a nice enough guy, but frankly he is one of the fish. We talk sometimes about hands, I try not to educate the fish, but sometimes the nice guy in me comes out at the table and I will give him some simple advise if he asks.

So after a hand that he misplayed he asked me about it, and in a moment of weakness I told how I would have played it. He was impressed and understood what I was talking.

He got up and followed me on a break and corned me and offed me a deal to coach him. The deal, he pays me about what I would expect to make in a good session for each session I coach him. This would be an on going thing until he felt he was beyond the need. Rather that ends up being one session or 20 I do not know. I told him I would think about it and let him know next time we see each other.

So basically how this would work is I would instead of sitting the table I would sit behind him, see his cards and after the hand and after the session in a more deatiled manner than time, etc allows at the table side, we would review each hand and situation and I would give him my take.

So I am considering this. On one hand it is a locked up profitable session without risk of loss. On the other hand, I am teaching a fish not to be a fish. I am adding yet another strong player to game I regularly play and lose a player I can easily out play. There is also the reaction of the other players in the game to be considered. Most of the regular players there have enough respect for me that it would not be a problem and they would also most likely clam any nits about too.

I am leaning towards doing it, but thought I would get some other thoughts before proceeding.