Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Short Stack Early Question

Early in a tournament I lose 2/3 of my stack. If it matters, I played KK poorly, but that's not the question.

I have 500 chips left at 30-60 blinds. One limper, I'm on the button with QJh. My question is thoughts on whether a push, stop-n-go, or call and evaluate the flop makes the most sense at this point.

For those of you who are going to say if you're willing to lose 2/3 of your stack with KK, you should have lost it all, maybe so, but I'd appreciate instead thoughts on this situation. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Short Stack Early Question

I would be calling or folding, you still have some breathing room and I lean towards folding. If the limper is notorious for limping w/ Axo and other garbage hands, then you can shove, but otherwise I would fold or call
Old 12-22-2005, 12:58 AM

Depends where the limper is, and what his table image is. Most of the time I'd fold this.

Also, you can't stop n go on the button. Calling is terrible, when you're in your position its push/fold.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:04 AM

If the limper's early or I have some kind of read, MAYBE I fold. Otherweise, I'm happily pushing. You pick up the pot reasonably often and QJs is doing just fine against a normal players limping range, especially with 90 extra chips in the pot. If people really disagree, pokerstove can give an answer with a little bit of work but I'm pretty confident pushing is right.

Steve