Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Some overcard hands

Some common situations with overcards.
Very passive oppponents in hand 1 & 2.

Hand 1

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

Hand 2

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ?

Hand 3

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, MP calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Some overcard hands

Hand 1,
Well if we bet and are raised we have odds to call(Depending on how much you discount). we'll be getting 7:1 anyhow so 6outs+ and its a call.

Due to this i either bet(fold equity and numerous outs to improve) i bet. Although if we check we cant call a bet surely? and if we bet and are raised we must call so it might be pricey or a fold.
Edit: just read he's passive so bet and maybe fold that raise.

Hand 2,
Check - Flush completed, paired board, hardly any clean outs and vs 3guys.

Hand 3,
Bet and fold to a raise(tell them we have a queen!). The pots getting big so this is my last shot to win it. if it folds button its GOOOD.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1,
Well if we bet and are raised we have odds to call(Depending on how much you discount). we'll be getting 7:1 anyhow so 6outs+ and its a call.

Due to this i either bet(fold equity and numerous outs to improve) i bet. Although if we check we cant call a bet surely? and if we bet and are raised we must call so it might be pricey or a fold.

Hand 2,
Check - Flush completed, paired board, hardly any clean outs and vs 3guys.

Hand 3,
Bet and fold to a raise(tell them we have a queen!). The pots getting big so this is my last shot to win it. if it folds button its GOOOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

I agree with most of these including betting hand 1 and calling a raise.
IN hand 2 we have only 2 opponents , not 3 - and the paired board makes it harder for it to have hit the others. If the players are not tricky cant we make a last bet here and check unimproved? Sometimes ace high will be the best hand - although i agree the flush card is scary..
Old 12-10-2005, 07:05 PM

Hand 1: Check. If you're bet into, you can safely fold since your opponent is 'very passive'.

Hand 2: Check. Same reason as hand 1, but we have an even weaker hand.

Hand 3: Bet. In general, bad players look at the second Q and somehow think it's more likely for you to have it since you bet again. Good for you - bet and fold to a raise.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:41 PM

You can yeah and i prob would vs 1, but with 2 theres LESS CHANCE OF BOTH FOLDING. However sure if they raise you can fold.

However checking means we don't put cash in and if these passives bet we can assume we're behind.

Also, these passives may be loose(he didnt state VPIP or any other read so passive is usually also fairly loose). If they are loose chances are they will call with alot of junk leaving us at river in a tricky spot, also call with the obvious K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or whatever.

If they do bet we can fold without investing, if they call we're in a tricky river spot with a 7BB pot or so. We also may have to fold to a forth club.

As they are passive ill hope i get a free card.

of course passives can bet as a bluff... So they may scoop the pot. This is why position rules.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:19 AM

i bet-call hand 1, check hand 2 and bet-fold 3.