Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-23-2005, 01:23 AM

Default PLO8 Did I play this right

First hand post hope I got it right. The player berrated me and called me donkey after the hand. I won the pot but was curious if I did play it wrong. I am new to this game but seem to be doing well short term. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

***** Hand History for Game 3079759063 *****
$50 PL Omaha Hi/Lo - Tuesday, November 22, 22:29:40 EDT 2005
Table Table 67035 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: GAMBIT314 ( $59.41 )
Seat 2: LeeLoo444 ( $82.68 ) Me
Seat 3: jbanks27 ( $123.77 )
Seat 5: klvnr ( $48.64 )
Seat 6: CarlosBoston ( $80.40 )
Seat 7: doanestyle ( $50 )
Seat 8: KYteambeam ( $40.50 )
Seat 10: cmill22 ( $50.65 ) Bad guy
Seat 4: MARCA ( $50 )
GAMBIT314 posts small blind [$0.25].
LeeLoo444 posts big blind [$0.50].
MARCA posts big blind [$0.50].
doanestyle posts big blind [$0.50].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to LeeLoo444 [ Jd 2c 3h Jh ]
jbanks27 folds.
MARCA checks.
klvnr folds.
doanestyle checks.
KYteambeam folds.
cmill22 calls [$0.50].
GAMBIT314 calls [$0.25].
LeeLoo444 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Ac, 9s, 8h ]
GAMBIT314 bets [$0.50].
LeeLoo444 calls [$0.50].
MARCA calls [$0.50].
doanestyle folds.
cmill22 calls [$0.50].

I'm the big blind. The reason I called the bet was Gambit bet every hand so I took no notice of his min raise. I have a draw to the nut low if I dont get counterfeited, my high is weak but something. The table was weak and I wanted to see what was going to happen after me which was nothing but calls. No one showed strength.

** Dealing Turn ** [ 4h ]
GAMBIT314 checks.
LeeLoo444 bets [$1].
MARCA calls [$1].
cmill22 raises [$6].
GAMBIT314 folds.
LeeLoo444 raises [$22.30].
MARCA folds.
cmill22 calls [$17.30].

I bet small actually trying to get a few callers with weaker lows or a high to raise it slightly to drag them along. Got one caller then a pot bet. This was the 2nd or 3rd hand for cmill22 so I had no numbers on him. I figured him for either a nut low like me with no real high or else why pot it or drawing to an unmade high as of yet or again why pot it when there is one dragger and maybe one more after him. After he potted it I figured Im made low with a decent high so I pushed back, ran the middle man out, when I got a call and no reraise back I figured anything on the river just might be extra for me.

** Dealing River ** [ 5d ]
LeeLoo444 bets [$49.50].
cmill22 is all-In.
LeeLoo444 shows [ Jd, 2c, 3h, Jh ] a straight, ace to five.
LeeLoo444 shows 5,4,3,2,A for low.
cmill22 doesn't show [ Ah, 8c, 7h, 5s ] two pairs, aces and eights.
cmill22 doesn't show 8,7,5,4,A for low.
LeeLoo444 wins $11.58 from side pot #1 with a straight, ace to five.
LeeLoo444 wins Lo ($11.57) from side pot #1 with 5,4,3,2,A.
LeeLoo444 wins $50.90 from the main pot with a straight, ace to five.
LeeLoo444 wins Lo ($50.90) from the main pot with 5,4,3,2,A.
GAMBIT314 has left the table.

Well I hit a perfect card on the river to scoop. Looks like we would have split it the 5 hadn't of hit but that was why I bet the turn in the first place. I guess my question is, was I just lucky and a donk like cmill said afterwards or did I play it right. I would not have played his hand after the flop with 2 pair on a low board but like I said I'm new and not sure if I'm doing this right. Help
Old 11-23-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: PLO8 Did I play this right

I'd say he's the donkey for calling an all-in on the river with his 2 pair and horrible low. What's he thinking? Terrible play. And his over-enthusiastic raise on the turn, when he gets a flush draw BUT A LOW HAS BEEN MADE is horrible too.

But I guess you want to know how you played....I wouldn't have potted the turn like you did. Your nut low may be counterfeited on the river and your high is just a pair. You might convince me it's the right play if you had counterfeit protection. Otherwise what if ...your opponent has counterfeit protection, then he's getting a freeroll. If a two or three comes on the river you're looking pretty stupid here, agreed? A jack would be nice though. You're right you are the made low--but your postion is precarious. A 2 or 3 sinks you. You're unlikely to win high against the high hand unless a 5 or a Jack comes. Against someone else with the nut low, would they have potted it with only the nut low? Perhaps if they had nut low with counterfeit protection, and a flush draw. But then do you really want to go to war against this hand with more money left to bet on the river? What if he had re-raised you on the turn? You could easily be dominated and lose everything on the river or be quartered. So, against a good player, I'd just call his bet and wait and see how the river turns out. If a flush comes, for example, you might be quartered.

You get the straight on the river. Your river bet worked out, but its a case where I'd rather be in last position and make it look like I might be bluffing here. Betting the pot makes it an easy fold for anyone who doesn't have the nut/nut. I'd probably bet out 2/3rds of it if I bet.

Can't argue with success though.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:42 AM

You were not the donkey in this hand!

You could have led out on the turn with a potbet, although if you are sure someone will raise you then your approach is better, but you would not want to see it flat call around - you want to get someone to over commit their hand here. All you are really worried about is A23, suited or not, and the action to this point doesn't indicate that hand is out there.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:13 PM

Cmill played it badly. He should have bet from the button if he was going to play it. Then he missed the flop – the 2,3,4,6’s and hearts that he is looking for didn't come, and top and bottom 2 pair with a 2-low flop is a routine folding hand – but his call was not terrible given his position and with good odds. Then he raised the turn for his biggest mistake – he has a weak made hand and 13out draw for half the pot. He should have taken a cheap card, but instead his jam got him freerolled.

You played it fine, considering that GAMBITs flop bet merely confirms that he was indeed dealt 4 cards, and that getting heads up vs. another 23 gives you a great chance to ¾ him. Your turn reraise is awesome as you usually have another 23xx in horrible shape, and if you’re up against the typical donkey playing Axxx then you often have hearts, 5’s and J’s to freeroll him which in aggregate is much better than the chances your 23 gets counterfeited.

-g
Old 11-23-2005, 07:27 PM

Thanks guys for all the positve feedback. I've never reviewed a hand before but after reading your comments and seeing the hand again its amazing what else you can pick up and see that you didn't see before. Also any chance for more PLO8 strategy on O8poker Greg?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys for all the positve feedback. I've never reviewed a hand before but after reading your comments and seeing the hand again its amazing what else you can pick up and see that you didn't see before. Also any chance for more PLO8 strategy on O8poker Greg?

[/ QUOTE ]

gergery has a good website with some interesting hand examples:

http://www.o8poker.com/