Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Semi-common situation with K7s

[ QUOTE ]
Call the raise. Check-call the turn, bet-fold the river unless a scare card has fallen, then check-call the river. I'd like to know if he's willing to bet on the end when it's scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bet/fold the river after check/calling the turn. If you're going to put a bet in on the river anyway, don't you want to showdown? I'm just asking--not being a jerk.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call the raise. Check-call the turn, bet-fold the river unless a scare card has fallen, then check-call the river. I'd like to know if he's willing to bet on the end when it's scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bet/fold the river after check/calling the turn. If you're going to put a bet in on the river anyway, don't you want to showdown? I'm just asking--not being a jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because poker is not about getting to the showdown.

It would be very hard for him to raise a river donk on a non-scare card unless he has a very good hand. A "very good hand" includes things such as kings that outkick us (be aware of the cards that fell, because some combinations give you chops and you would be better check-calling those). There are a wide range of players who will bet/raise the flop and turn but check behind on the river with medium-strong hands (like a pair of queens), and I want those players to pay off a bet rather than take a free showdown.

This is villain's first hand, so you're trying to develop a read without sacrificing lots of EV.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be very hard for him to raise a river donk on a non-scare card unless he has a very good hand. A "very good hand" includes things such as kings that outkick us (be aware of the cards that fell, because some combinations give you chops and you would be better check-calling those). There are a wide range of players who will bet/raise the flop and turn but check behind on the river with medium-strong hands (like a pair of queens), and I want those players to pay off a bet rather than take a free showdown.

This is villain's first hand, so you're trying to develop a read without sacrificing lots of EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHile I really like this line for this kind of situation, I get worried about not having a read for the opponent, and if he is somewhat maniac/bluffer his river raise can cost us the whole pot. Maybe it is acceptable to bet/call?