Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: $10 million. 6 chambers. Do you play?
No! 29 90.63%
Yes! 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Desktop vs Laptop Question

Hey all,

I have an old desktop 1.0 gig, 256 RAM, that I am thinking of upgrading so that I can multitable without lag and just for general computing. I was looking at some of the dell configurations which look nice. I also recently purchased a Dell 700m for school/class, note taking, random poker on trips whatever. I never thought about using this brand new comp. for poker but I know a number of you have laptops that you multitable on...so I was curious who does what and why. After a few minutes of typing/mousing on laptop my hands kill and make me not want to use laptop as much as I probably should. I've never looked at a laptop as my 'main' computer, was always brought up with desktops so this is new for me. Plus, I've always had it in my mind that laptops are not as strong as desktops, so the idea of leaving it on 24/7 doesn't seem like a good idea, whereas I can't remember the last time I turned off my desktop, and I datamine with it, etc... So who uses desktop vs. laptop, and any other advice recommendations you might have on buying a new PC or just making a few modifications to outfit my laptop. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Desktop vs Laptop Question

I use a laptop only ... but its more about space than anything. small place with wife and baby (baby has her room AND spare room to play in, so no desk for a desktop). I play after my wife and kid go to bed and I usually have TV on so I can watch it while playing on my kitchen table. I think I'd do a laptop again even if I had an "office".

I use an pretty crappy Toshiba that I bought when we moved into the place we're in, before the idea of 4 tables ever dawned on me.

Look around for input on the laptop to get (Dell 6000 and 9300 seem to be THE suggestions). I don't know if either have docking stations, but this might be an option for you.

Good Luck!
FishNChips
Old 11-04-2005, 04:17 PM

I really miss when I used my desktop for poker. I bought a Dell Inspiron 6000 a while back when I got one of the sick deals, so I could get the WUXGA (1900x1200 res), so I could 4 table with no overlap and so I could take it with me when I travelled. I started using it for poker, and never went back b/c I could 4 table, AIM, and see my winamp playlist all at the same time. Anyways, now I am getting frustrated a bit b/c of the small screen (more of a strain on my eyes), and it runs alot slower - though this is mostly b/c my PT database is getting HUGE. I keep saying I am going back to my desktop, but then I load up 4 tables, and say fck it, and go back to my laptop.

Just get a high res screen for your desktop and you are set (I know I should too, but I am cheap that way).
Old 11-04-2005, 04:40 PM

I use a Dell Inspiron 9300 "laptop" (the thing is pretty big... ~7-9 pounds, 17 inch monitor) as my sole computer.

I'd been using a desktop since 1992, so I wasn't sure how I would feel about making the switch, but I've been quite happy with it. The keyboard is almost the same size as a desktop keyboard, and I bought a regular size wireless mouse, so the only real difference I notice is that it doesn't take up as nearly as much space and I can use it anywhere I want to (a wireless network is a good thing).

The one 'complaint' I have is that when I'm using it as a 'laptop' and sitting on my couch, the most convenient place to put the mousepad is over the keyboard -- which makes it hard to switch between mousing and typing. But since sitting on my couch wasn't even an option with the desktop, I can't really call this a complaint...

I don't leave it on all the time, but I never left my desktop on all the time either (the constant hum of the fan/electronics drives me nuts).
Old 11-04-2005, 04:57 PM

I have used both desktops and laptops for poker. I never had a laptop until this spring. I work from home except for one day a week where I have to go in to the office for a status meeting. I got the laptop so I could bring my files to the meeting. I really like it for that and don't know how I would get by without it. At home I hook it up to a 2001fp and a wireless keyboard and mouse. At that point if you didn't see the laptop on my desk you couldn't tell the difference between it and a desktop. That being said I don't see the point in getting a laptop unless you need to portability. They are generally more expensive, harder to upgrade, and harder to repair. If you need to portability I would say go for it but get a decent keyboard and mouse to go with it. Either way don't skimp on RAM.