Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 09-21-2005, 05:09 PM

Default If you\'re going to play badly.....

Atleast bet the river when you hit as a 80/20 dog on the turn. I love the way he made tons of assumptions on the turn about his hand, including the outs he had.

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...mp;hand=131511

I see this as an easy fold on the turn, first you have no low draw. It's obvious your opponent has hit and you are out of position. What this means, is if you actually hit, you're unlikely to get any bet at all. The implied odds is next to nothing. Plus since non of your draws apart from the gutshot straight are actually classed "the nuts" on the river, you can't value bet anyway.

Learn to fold hands with no draws to the nuts.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: If you\'re going to play badly.....

No bet from you on the flop?
Old 09-21-2005, 06:25 PM

I like to give the button the chance to play really badly from time to time , especially when it's an overly aggressive player as was the case. I had a check raise planned, which I prefer in this case for building the pot, since it gives all the other players the chance to call him first.

Let's put it another way, the button in this case has no respect at the table, I have significantly more. Lots of players on the button like to bet, even if it's only a minimum bet, because it's the button and it's their perogative to do so. A lot of players seem to think this gets them a free card on the turn, all it gets against me is a check raise on the flop. Plus because some people will have already called it lets me put a whopper of a raise in. If I was in early position with this hand I would bet the pot, if I was on the button with this hand I would bet the pot, however if I am in the middle I will often try to check raise, one because I don't think guys in late position have (in general) a hand when they do bet, to be able to call a check raise with.
You need to remember at higher limits there is no "always" or "never" about betting certain hands. You will find however people have a hard time respecting a check raise from the cutoff. A lot of players can't understand why you would risk a free card with only 1 player left to act after you when you check the flop, so this sets off people's "bullshit" detector and you get paid off with your nut hands.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:55 PM

He did make an awful call on the turn. 2 to 1 pot odds, but you multiply that by around .4 because he can not win the low. Throw in the fact that he has some draws, but NONE to the nuts, and hes out of position, you should add him to your buddy list. But, even at the $200, Im not suprised by such play. Most people just dont have a solid understanding of the game, which can be good and bad for you. But mostly good. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 12:07 AM

Makes sense, thanks