Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Playing against pre-flop re-raise?

Sorry, this is a really beginner question, but this always gets me. I did a quick search, but all that comes up are specific hands, and that doesn't help.

How do you play against a pre-flop re-raise? Say in a 6-max $50NL table, I'll open UTG+1 with QQ and get raised by the button. Sometimes I'll play it for set value, but if the board comes low, what am I to do then?

Or a tougher one, AK. I generally don't like calling a re-raise with this hand, I'd rather fold or re-raise back. I'm just never really sure when to do what.

If it's an all-in re-raise, I go by a strict rule of going all-in pre-flop only with AA or KK, but I see so many morons going with AQ, QQ, JJ, am I missing profits?

Another very tough spot is when I re-raise a guy who opened and then he re-raises me back. I usually only do this with AA, KK, QQ, and AKs/o. With AA and KK, if he re-raises, it's just a matter of putting him all in now or on the flop. With QQ, I'll fold or call for set value (if his stack is deep enough and the raise is small). What beats me is the AK, seems like if I flop a pair, I won't get action unless I'm beat.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Playing against pre-flop re-raise?

you've got to remember this is a 6-max table, so your hand value goes up significantly. That said, I'd play it aggressively on the flop and see where it takes me. Depending on my read of the villian, I may be willing to get my entire stack in w/ a non ace flop.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 PM

What I do in these situations depends on the player. I try to pay attention what they will normally raise/reraise with and what they have been showing down. Against a tight player I may throw away AK or QQ. Against a mediocre player I want to see a flop. I also like to have position on this player. If I have an overpair to the flop I raise/bet a good percentage of the time. If he comes back at me (especially with a check raise)I will fold unless I have a read on him/her. With AK, if I don't make a hand or a good draw I am folding.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I do in these situations depends on the player. I try to pay attention what they will normally raise/reraise with and what they have been showing down. Against a tight player I may throw away AK or QQ. Against a mediocre player I want to see a flop. I also like to have position on this player. If I have an overpair to the flop I raise/bet a good percentage of the time. If he comes back at me (especially with a check raise)I will fold unless I have a read on him/her. With AK, if I don't make a hand or a good draw I am folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll dump AK to a raise, no problem. It would have to be one hell of a TAG at a 6-max table before I dump an overpair here. I'd probably open for the size of the pot and go from there.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:00 PM

Yeah, that's similar to how I currently play.

I'm just not sure what to do in a situation where, say, I open with AK, he re-raises me. I generally try not to call here, as it gives me no information, I'll usually re-raise and see what he does. If he goes all-in, and I generally think of him as a decent player, then I'll fold. If I think he's a moron, or if his chip stack is small (which generally indicates a moron), then I'll call.

Basically, should I be trying to look for situations where I have AK against AA, or should I accept them as part of the game? I know in tournaments where you're always shortstacked (you start off with 50xBB), AK vs AA situations are just part of the game and trying to read a guy for AA is counterproductive.