Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2003, 11:24 PM

Default Re: The 3 things that piss me off about the conflict

I appreciate your response, and recognize the truth in what you say. And, of course, my perhaps unfair feelings toward the military have been shaped by what I see as an unjust war.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:33 PM

I'm not a long-time protester. But my experience in protesting this war has shown me that the protesters don't "spit on the troops". I don't know how it was during Viet Nam. At the most recent protest many signs read "support our troops". Of course there are probably some radicals who say stupid things, and the media truly loves them. But this is NOT the general view-point of protesters.

In this regard my position is a very awkward one. No one wants to say that any US soldier has died needlessly. It is too sad. But I have to take that position. If you think I'm a jerk, well, what can I say except that I am, after all, on the side that is trying the hardest to bring them home alive.

Morgan
Old 03-24-2003, 09:18 PM

you know given the fact that many troops after gulf war 1 were denied medical treatment (and told it was all in their heads and given prozac) when many were exposed to low levels of nerve gas and stuff and had what turned out to be major bona fide conditions and that furthermore US command covered up a lot of stuff (chemical weapons detectors went off all over region, chemical weapons depots blown up, experimental vaccines with unknown side effects, depleted uranium, etc.)

its highly ironic that the ones pushing for war this time are 'supporting our troops'.

i only hope this time around gulf war veterans will not be given the shaft.