Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: \"Everything in life is luck\"

[ QUOTE ]
wow dynasty are you stupid? were you dropped as a kid?

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be deleted in like 5 seconds.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At first when sponger said this to me on AIM I wasn't sure if he meant my post or Dynasty's post because Dynasty's post is so goddamed retarded, figured he might be embarrased to write that sort of thing.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:21 PM

Life luck is like poker luck. To the unobservant it is all luck. The skilled players realize there is a lot of skill in stacking the deck in thier favor before luck takes over.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At first when sponger said this to me on AIM I wasn't sure if he meant my post or Dynasty's post because Dynasty's post is so goddamed retarded, figured he might be embarrased to write that sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I wrote in that post is true.

American children being born into a more affluent country isn't luck. It happened because of the hard work and accomplishments of previous generations.

It's not as if you (or anyone else) could have been born somewhere else. It's not like there was some kind of lottery to be determine where you would be born.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's not luck. That's our parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and other past generations actually building something during their lifetimes.

Humans have lived in Africa longer than anywhere else. Yet, they remain poor because their cultures haven't accomplished much of anything relative to the rest of the world. North America was "discovered" by European explorers just over 500 years ago. In a relatively short period of time, those people built the most powerful society in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

D,

Have you read "Guns, Germs and Steel"? You probably won't agree with much of it (I don't either) but it's a good read on exactly this kind of topic.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything I wrote in that post is true.

American children being born into a more affluent country isn't luck. It happened because of the hard work and accomplishments of previous generations.

It's not as if you (or anyone else) could have been born somewhere else. It's not like there was some kind of lottery to be determine where you would be born.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok a couple questions

1) Can you choose where you are born?
2) Do you consider yourself lucky to be born in the united states as opposed to sudan or zaire?
3) Do you think the little boy in the picture considering himself unlucky to be born into a family that cannot afford to feed him?

You weren't born into the united states because of your own personal hard work. I understand you think that the people who were able to move to the united states and prosper are smarter than the people who still live in africa, but it has nothing to do with an unborn child.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:40 PM

"Humans have lived in Africa longer than anywhere else. Yet, they remain poor because their cultures haven't accomplished much of anything relative to the rest of the world. North America was "discovered" by European explorers just over 500 years ago. In a relatively short period of time, those people built the most powerful society in the world. "

Dynasty, what are you saying here anyway? It sounds to me like you are saying Africans have lived their long so they should all other things being equal be more advanced than other places. They aren't more advanced, they're less advanced so the explination is, Europeans are superior to Africans. I mean, this is a joke if that's what you're saying, is that what you're saying?

"American children being born into a more affluent country isn't luck. It happened because of the hard work and accomplishments of previous generations."

Okay, I have an interesting idea, the person in poverty living a miserable existence is who we are concerned with here, so why don't we look at this issue from their perspective? Makes sense, no? Clearly, from their perspective it's all luck.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It happened because of the hard work and accomplishments of previous generations.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but being born as one of the 300 million Americans and not the billion+ Africans and Chinese people is very good luck.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:45 PM

Yes Dynasty, you are right. Sort of. As a species, race, etc, it is not "luck" that ultimately determins your fate in the long run(although a determinist might disagree with that statement).

As an individual though, you quite clearly have no choice as to which family/country/continent you are born into, and are stuck with the burdon/blessing of having to make the best of what you were given.

That being said, I think the majority of people would agree that that little african boy is sh!t-outa-luck.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:53 PM

I'm not trying to make any grand statement and am certainly not saying one group of people are superior to another. (Although, American and European cultures have certainly been far more successful)

But, the view expressed in the pictures above was basically "American children are growing up in a prosperous nation and African (I assume) children are growing up in extreme poverty due to luck". That's an overly simplistic and ridiculous observation.

American children are growing up in a prosperous nation for damn good reasons. Americans made the nation prosperous.

It sometimes seems like people who are making the luck arguement (which has been posted before in the last few months) want to beleive that children are randomly assigned what countries they are being born into.