Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-24-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Turn raise size...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($72.20)
MP ($47.90)
CO ($283.55)
Button ($45.30)
SB ($246.75)
BB ($64.90)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls $1, MP calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, SB (poster) calls $1.50, BB calls $1, Hero calls $1, MP calls $1.

Flop: ($12) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $4, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds.

Turn: ($20) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $7</font>, Hero raises way too much...

Proper turn raise size? Villian is loose passive preflop. Average aggression postflop. Also what is his hand range? I figure a pair under 9, a pair of 9s or a flush draw. Thanks,

Krishan
Old 12-24-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Turn raise size...

just a heads up, we mostly talk about limit in this forum.

[ QUOTE ]
I figure a pair under 9, a pair of 9s or a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think so too. i'd offer him 3-1 pot odds or worse and see what happens. raise to 20-25
Old 12-24-2005, 01:25 PM

I don't know if it's a "proper" size or not. I'd probably just bet 3/4 - 4/4 of the pot and give him the opportunity to make a bad call if he's drawing. These bets just so happen to be 3x and 4x his bet (roughly) respectively... 3x would probably be best since I think you're most likely to get a call from that.

As far as his hand range I think you are about right. I think his bets indicate a pair and not much more. They look small enough for him to get away from 1P so I think I like the idea of 3/4 pot raise. His flop donk seems to rule out a draw, but this isn't my regular game so not totally sure.

These are only guesses. NL is fun though.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:32 PM

we need to know how likely you figure the FD to be. If you are more than 20% sure it's out there, better to lay 3-1 on the pot to make it a FTOP error, rather than price villain in.

In order to shut out odds for the draw, present or not, i'd raise $18 (to $25) into the $27 pot, making villain pay $18 to win $52, just under 3-1.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:34 PM

if CO is a weakie then that flop lead for 1/3 the pot with a FD is awesome and I do it all the time.. it's a blocking bet, if you don't bet CO's continuation bet might be for 1/2-2/3 of the pot which isn't nearly as cheap, and that lead sets you up for a lot of other nice stuff (like a top card pairing bluff), etc
Old 12-24-2005, 01:48 PM

Haha, I was wondering where this post went. Can a MOD please move it to small stakes nl?

Krishan
Old 12-24-2005, 02:29 PM

just remember, you don't want to make it incorrect for him to call with the best possible draw he could hold. You want to induce an incorrect call from the average hand he will hold in this spot, which is substantially worse than a flush draw.

I haven't played NL in a while but I'd make it about 20.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just remember, you don't want to make it incorrect for him to call with the best possible draw he could hold. You want to induce an incorrect call from the average hand he will hold in this spot, which is substantially worse than a flush draw.

I haven't played NL in a while but I'd make it about 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sense. I went all in and he folded. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Krishan
Old 12-24-2005, 02:52 PM

yea allin sucks hard. you basically want to bet the maximum that he will call with the average hand in his range
Old 12-25-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just a heads up, we mostly talk about limit in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
This literally made me "lol."

Krishan's such a [censored] newbie.