Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Short Stack against H@LLINGOL and BBuddy

Stars 10/20 NL

I bought in short-stacked and have doubled up once when my rivered trips got all in against flopped top and bottom pair. Other than that I have only played about 4 or 5 hands out of about 50. H@LL is on my left and seems to be playing solid and not too laggy. BBuddy is playing lots of pots.

BBuddy in EP (~$9000)
Hero in MP (~$750)
H@LLINGOL in CO (~$6000)

Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> </font> Bbuddy raises to $80 in EP, <font color="black"> </font> folds to Hero, Hero calls $80, H@LLINGOL calls $80, Button folds, blinds fold

I wanted to get max value on my hand. I don't think that calling here needs to be debated.

FLOP ($270): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BBuddy checks, Hero checks, H@LLINGOL checks

Bet here? how much?

TURN ($270): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BBuddy checks, <font color="red"> </font> Hero bets $140, <font color="black"> </font> H@LLINGOL calls $140, BBuddy folds.

RIVER ($550: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> </font> Hero?...

Is pushing the only real option here? I have about 500 left behind. All thoughts welcome.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Short Stack against H@LLINGOL and BBuddy

Bet the flop and getting your stack in works out a lot easier. I see no way you're getting called on the river as everybody knows you're some tighty shortstack so maybe check and let hallingol push you around.
As it is, I can't believe that you started off the hand with 37.5 BB and didn't find an easy way to get your stack in the middle w/AA facing a preflop raise.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:39 PM

My rationale for not betting the flop after BBuddy checked was that I probably wasn't getting a call from either player without a J unless BBuddy was getting cute. I can't really think of a single card that I hate on the turn if I'm not already behind.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 PM

I would posit that one way to avoid scare flops killing your action when you have AA is to get more money in preflop.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 PM

So why did you buy in short, sandwiched in between these two? I'd like to hear your motives here.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to get max value on my hand. I don't think that calling here needs to be debated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling was wrong. If you make it $300 to go preflop and you get action from H@ll you will probably get action from B Buddy too. B Buddy was in super hyper agressive mode so I like giving him a chance to push all in pre flop against a short stack and taking a gamble (which he was doing all night; as long as he could push and rebuy trick he was willing to gamble with shorter stacks).

If I got to the river the way you did I would check to H@ll everytime...you still would have lost your money though as flopped quads are nice.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM

"if you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table then you are the sucker."

-reraising preflop.
-bet the flop
-don't know why you made that werid bet on the turn
Old 12-13-2005, 12:48 AM

true, especially with his short stack.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:09 AM

From my experience, you never want to smooth call aces preflop against H@LL or BBuddy. I don't your preflop play here. Jam river.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:16 AM

Reraise preflop...buddy usually in his moods lately calls anyway. I dont really get why ud buy in for 400 against these 2 players in particular. They are always so deep and ur only move i feel is reraising premium hands preflop.
Closed Thread