Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-14-2005, 10:08 AM

Default A Turn Play & Some River Spray

80 game at Borg. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. Three limpers, SB folds and I check.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet, first limper folds and the other two call. The turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, first limper checks and now the last limper (a pretty solid player) bets. I raise. First limper folds and last limper goes into the tank before calling. River bricks. I bet. Comments on my play and results to follow. What do we think?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: A Turn Play & Some River Spray

This play would be a lot more reasonable if the pot were heads up, IMO. Against two players, isn't an ace almost always going to just bet for value? Clearly there are draws on this board that an A doesn't want to give a free card to, and since no one raised the EP flop bet, it isn't likely that either player really has an ace.

If the last limper is really a pretty solid player, I think he will know that a flush draw semibluff is a large chunk of your hand ranges, and will therefore call you down with some weak holdings.

There are some players who this is a good play against, but I don't think a pretty solid player qualifies.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:07 PM

i'm not sure i like the flop semi bluff with the ace on the board
his thinking time after the turn c/r is a worry. because if he had an ace he would atleast call if he had a smaller flush draw he would have an easy call but if he had say 66 he may take some time to consider then decide either way and once he has called the turn and a non spade river brick falls he will auto call the river
otherwise i think you have given yourself every chance to win the pot and i hope i'm wrong
Old 11-14-2005, 12:16 PM

I like your line on this hand. Your opponent is a solid player who seems to have reluctantly called a check-raise on the turn. He most likely is on a draw. If he thought he had you dominated or put you on a draw, why not 3 bet you on the turn?
The only way you are going to take this pot down after he bets the turn is to pop him and continue bet no matter what hits the river. If he raises you, then I'd bail.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:34 PM

I think you get called on the river by 66 or 77 or something like that. If you bet the flop and get two callers, there is little chance you would check the turn and risk getting it checked behind if you have an ace. So a good player would recognize that you probably don't have an ace. I think it's a good play but not against this particular opponent.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:43 PM

I would like the turn play a lot more if it was heads up, but this line just looks shady if you had an ace. If you really had the ace you wouldn't want to checkraise the middle player out of the pot would you? Would you really play an ace that way? Does the solid player think you would play the ace that way? From his perspective it seems like you have something and are really trying to move him off of his hand. I think once he calls the turn, he is calling the river no matter what unless maybe if a draw hits because he might put you on that hand. I just think the river play is giving away money IMHO.

Mike
Old 11-14-2005, 11:15 PM

Default RESULTS

My opponent called with A7s. I think this was a bad board to try this with to some extent since he either has an ace or spades probably. I think he might lay down something like 77 to a bet and call on the flop unless he just wanted to see what happened on the turn. Plus if I did bet an ace on the flop, I'd probably go ahead and bet it again on the turn in his mind. I think his hesitation on calling my turn raise was likely him considering whether I had a set and whether he'd pay off the end unimproved. If I had a set, I'd likely sandbag the turn since the calls make it likely an ace is out and will bet. So, I actually think he thought about laying it down...most players would never consider folding an ace in his spot there. The river bet was probably wasteful once he called the turn but it was my only way to win the pot unless he was on lower spades (then checking the river may cost me the pot bc it will induce a bet from him). Thanks for the replies.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

wouldn't you rather take the line of betting the turn if you did have a set so that you can get raised and get a 3-bet in, instead of checkraising?

Its like you say...... most players won't fold trips here.