Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Best Question I\'ve Ever Been Asked in a B&M

Villain: But I played that right, didn't I?

10-handed, 3/6 Hold-'em, Villain is SB, hero is MP2 with AQo.

Preflop: Hero open-raises, folded to Villain who 3-bets, Hero calls.

Flop: Q32

Villain checks, Hero bets, Villain check-raises, Hero calls.

Turn: 3

Villain checks, Hero bets, Villain check-raises, Hero calls.

River: some card that isn't a Q

Villain checks, Hero shakes his head in disbelief and checks.

Results:

Villain has A3o.

Longer term results: Hero is up 30BB after an 8 hour session.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Best Question I\'ve Ever Been Asked in a B&M

Umm, why no 3-bet on the flop? (Or were you caught unawares by his LAGginess?)
Old 12-19-2005, 12:40 AM

I'd fold the turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

^

chk raised on the turn at these limits is a very strong hand. Almost 99% of the time in a 9 or 10 handed game at limits 6/12 and below a turn raise has 1 pair beaten. I think you could even safely fold KK and AA here too if you got CR on the turn
Old 12-19-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, why no 3-bet on the flop? (Or were you caught unawares by his LAGginess?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually did 3bet the flop and he capped; accidentally wrote it down wrong.

About folding the turn: My experience is that the pattern of c/r'ing, and then illogically c/r-ing again is either a monster or something completely ridiculous. Normal B&M players are passive enough that it's usually "monster", but he had the backwards baseball cap WPT-wannabe vibe which often translates into "stupidly aggressive" (and if that is the case I want to find out ASAP as it's early in the session; see hands below). Absent the "read" I can see the argument for folding the turn or even treating it as a WA/WB situation from the flop on.

As a bonus, some other hands against the same kid later that night:

Hero has AA, raise from EP, get called by Villain on the button. Flop 45T, capped on flop and turn (K), river 7, hero bets/calls, Villain has 68s which did not flop a flush draw.

Hero has KJs, Villain cold-calls on button, flop and turn get capped on 853T board, hero bets 3 river. Villain makes a big show of folding. Hero shows his monster king-high for tilt equity.

Hero has AKo, raises and gets four cold-callers, Villain reraises from SB, hero insta-caps, and gets called by everyone. Flop AT3, hero bets, everyone calls. Turn 8, hero bets, called to Villain who c/r's, hero 3bets, everyone folds to Villain who caps, hero calls. River blank, Villain checks and calls with 55.

Some normally-passive lady bluffs Villain off the river when playing the board with 75o and shows it, exclaiming with a smile "That's the first time I've ever bluffed!" He later caps her on the river with TP no kicker on a KJQTx board, she has the A. In retrospect, I think it's this kind of "localized tilt" that had him playing so aggressively against me in the other hands. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] B&M's.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:38 AM

I like it when a 2BB pot gets checked to the river and I win it when my underpair beats his king high or something and the guy asks "Would you have called if I went all-in?"
Old 12-19-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it when a 2BB pot gets checked to the river and I win it when my underpair beats his king high or something and the guy asks "Would you have called if I went all-in?"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say no --- I'd imagine they'd rush to go all-in against you next time....
Old 12-19-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you say no --- I'd imagine they'd rush to go all-in against you next time....

[/ QUOTE ]

...on the flop, so you never have to value-bet a set against that player again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(BTW, about my last reply, I picked up a flush draw on that KJ hand, so it's not as insane as it looks though I was still probably donking it up a bit there.)
Old 12-19-2005, 04:36 AM

River?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:40 PM

Love his PF 3-bet with A3. He obviously put you on KQ or worse. Sure he was wrong this time, but he's still probably a God among men in some circles.

What about the flop C/R you say? Well, now he doesn't think you have KQ. He thinketh you haveth KJ, or AK, or AJ.

Hmm, you bet the turn again after being C/R'ed on the flop. Now he KNOWS you have a Q. Probably AQ to be exact. He's got you now. He knows he'll be paid off with his trips!

I'd say his handreading skills are legendary. One needs to make adjustments in their reads throughout the hand.