Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-02-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Evidence AGAINST Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, debating Noah's ark?

ok, here's my argument. *ahem*

You.

Can't.

Fit.

Every.

Species.

On.

One.

[censored].

BOAT!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.answersingenesis.org/home.../arksize13.asp

[/ QUOTE ]
Comedy gold.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We were not discussing the purpose for bringing two, we were discussing that the wording of the verse makes it clear that only two of each beast are to be brought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does it say only?

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't realise you shared my view there are 'any number of errors and contradictions' in the English version of the Bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which English version did you think I believe is inerrant? You make a lot of assumptions. Why not just assume I believe the Swahili version is inerrant? Then you can find even more contradictions.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but I'm growing a little tired of giving English lessons, please refer to a dictionary if you seriously don't understand this concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will as soon as you understand the concept that two compatible commands don't contradict each other.

[ QUOTE ]

Have the 'harmonization' experts got it wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be relevant when I state that tektonics is infallible.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:58 PM

"if God in His wisdom decided not to preserve some ocean creatures, this was none of Noah’s business."

For some reason, I loved that sentence. I can see God ticking off his list, thinking, "No, that one has too many bones, he's out. But seahorses are pretty cool, some of my best work. We'll keep them."

Anyway, how did Noah go about collecting all the animals that were on the ark? Did he post advertising, promising door prizes to those who made the trip?

Re David's dinosaur question: Your link talks about saving the dinosaurs, since their eggs were relatively small. So, I repeat the question he asked: Were there humans and dinosaurs living at the same time?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re David's dinosaur question: Your link talks about saving the dinosaurs, since their eggs were relatively small. So, I repeat the question he asked: Were there humans and dinosaurs living at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]
NotReady had a great response elsewhere in this thread that, quite honestly, also applies here: That will be relevent when I declare www.answersingenesis.org to be infallible. The point being that my link gave a reasonable answer as how the animals could have fit on the ark, which was the original question.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where does it say only?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are not reading what I am writing. Unfortunately as this is our only form of communication, I fear our discussion is in some trouble.

[ QUOTE ]
Which English version did you think I believe is inerrant?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would hope you realize that none of them are inerrant.

[ QUOTE ]
I will as soon as you understand the concept that two compatible commands don't contradict each other.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry that I have to repeat myself, but you have not shown how the two commands are compatible. In fact your whole argument thus far seems to be based solely on picking apart my use of the English language.

[ QUOTE ]

Have the 'harmonization' experts got it wrong?
[ QUOTE ]

This will be relevant when I state that tektonics is infallible.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is directly relevant to our discussion, as it shows not even Christians agree on the meaning of the verse. It proves that the issue is not as simple as you implied in your post:
[ QUOTE ]
Seven pairs of beast. Two by two. Get it now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-02-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry that I have to repeat myself, but you have not shown how the two commands are compatible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two of each kind for preservation. Seven pairs of clean for sacrifice and possible food. Simple.

[ QUOTE ]

as it shows not even Christians agree on the meaning of the verse.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you require full agreement among all Christians on every verse of the Bible and every doctrine, you win. Others can decide how fair such a requirement is.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, debating Noah's ark?

ok, here's my argument. *ahem*

You.

Can't.

Fit.

Every.

Species.

On.

One.

[censored].

BOAT!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home.../arksize13.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

txag007, if you were looking for evidence against Christianity, then there you have it. Unless you can come up with a better defense against the preposterous claims of the Noah's ark story than the link you provided, I'd call this case closed. Any anthropologist, zoologist, botanist or any scientist that still thought this could explain things (even accounting for animal babies and later offshoots of more specific species) would be laughed out of his job if we didn't indulge religious lunacy for PC reasons.

A fifth grader, even following this link's absurd guidelines, could still disprove this story with one visit to a zoo and a measuring tape, pencil, and a paper. So there is your evidence against Christianity. At least as far as a literal interpretation of the Bible goes.

I don't expect you to agree with me. It is just that your 100% belief in a literal interpretation of the Bible is diametrically opposed to my 100% disbelief in the possibility of such a literal interpretation being true. I don't know how I'm ever going to convince you of the truth. You probably feel likewise. So we spin our wheels. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A fifth grader, even following this link's absurd guidelines, could still disprove this story with one visit to a zoo and a measuring tape, pencil, and a paper. So there is your evidence against Christianity. At least as far as a literal interpretation of the Bible goes.

[/ QUOTE ]
While it's easy to make statements like the one you just posted, I did notice that you haven't done the calculations yourself. If a fifth grader could do it, surely you can too.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point being that my link gave a reasonable answer as how the animals could have fit on the ark, which was the original question.

[/ QUOTE ]

A "reasonable explanation" should satisfy the scientific/secular paradigm that the atheistic audience whom you're addressing holds...otherwise there would be no reason because you can revert to "everything is possible with God."

A "reasonable explanation" is not one that can be provided by a couple half-wits on that website; it would require a team of anthropologists, engineers, zoologists and strategists to explain how Noah, a guy with stone-age technology, could build a boat half the length of the Titanic, round up two of every non-sea dwelling species on earth, and accomodate them with food, air, pooping facilities (for lack of a better term) in this massive, gopher-wood ark, with adequate living accomodations for seven months...AND maintain them such a manner that they all lived.

The scientific/practical problems with this are far too numerous to even be worth listing. Noah could NOT have been able to do this without some incredibly divine intervention, and if we're willing to accept divine intervention, then there is no reason for people to be arguing how someone could pull this ridiculous feat off.

Please accept that you want us to believe something that IS completely and utterly impossible short of divine intervention, and stop making yourself look like an idiot.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point being that my link gave a reasonable answer as how the animals could have fit on the ark, which was the original question.

[/ QUOTE ]

A "reasonable explanation" should satisfy the scientific/secular paradigm that the atheistic audience whom you're addressing holds...otherwise there would be no reason because you can revert to "everything is possible with God."

A "reasonable explanation" is not one that can be provided by a couple half-wits on that website; it would require a team of anthropologists, engineers, zoologists and strategists to explain how Noah, a guy with stone-age technology, could build a boat half the length of the Titanic, round up two of every non-sea dwelling species on earth, and accomodate them with food, air, pooping facilities (for lack of a better term) in this massive, gopher-wood ark, with adequate living accomodations for seven months...AND maintain them such a manner that they all lived.

The scientific/practical problems with this are far too numerous to even be worth listing. Noah could NOT have been able to do this without some incredibly divine intervention, and if we're willing to accept divine intervention, then there is no reason for people to be arguing how someone could pull this ridiculous feat off.

Please accept that you want us to believe something that IS completely and utterly impossible short of divine intervention, and stop making yourself look like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I never said that divine intervention wasn't possible. What I said was that the Bible is true, word for word. This means that Noah built the ark and put the animals inside. It does not mean that God didn't help Noah. If you are telling me, however, that it was impossible to build the ark based on the technology of Noah's time, you're wrong.