Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-29-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: $40/$80 hand AKs

cap preflop. if you cant back up a logical reason for why calling is better then i think youre missing alot of value.

i dont see any reason to raise the turn. the tag isnt folding a better hand. you may get 3bet which will lose the donkey when he woudl have called for 1 bet when raised.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't really think of a good reason not to raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because facing a 3 bet on the turn is a good thing?
Old 10-29-2005, 07:14 PM

I was not the hero this hand. I was the player in cutoff. Hero is a solid, sometimes weak tightish player. I saw the wheels turning in his head on the turn as he folded. I had QQ and raised the donkey on the turn. He said he folded because he knew I was going to raise, which I thought was a good read on his part, but I was unsure whether or not his fold is a good one.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:34 PM

So you would never fold AK and 99 on down to a turn raise by a solid, weak tightish player? SUre you had QQ in this case, but I bet the only hands you 3 bet against him here are KK and AA.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:08 PM

I was the TAG this hand in cutoff. The hero mucked his hand on the turn, which really surprised me. He reasoned he knew I would raise on the turn if he called, and probably 3 bet him if he raised. While in this particular hand it would probably be true (i had black QQ), I think he has way too many possible outs plus the chance that the donkey is betting air and he may get me to fold behind him to not raise the turn.

Anyway, I did indeed raise the turn and the donkey called. The river was a 5d, I bet and got called by 95o (not a typo, I've been playing poker for 2 years now and I still see many amazing things almost every time i sit down and play.)
Old 10-30-2005, 05:52 PM

i don't think this guy is "slighty weak-tight" if he folded the nut flush draw on the turn, in addition to up to 6 possible outs (which ended up being live).
Old 10-30-2005, 07:21 PM

if it is true that the BB has a propensity to bet with nothing , then I like raising the turn with our flushdraw+two overcards better than calling. Given that the CO's hand is still not defined, and the CO views the hero as weak tight, we may induce the CO to lay down a better hand(The CO will fold AK too and that is also wonderful) The hero has to call the turn anyways, so investing one more BB to possibly increase the hero's chance of winning this decent sized pot is worth it in my opinion.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said he folded because he knew I was going to raise, which I thought was a good read on his part, but I was unsure whether or not his fold is a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his fold is bad even if you have a notarized document promising you'll raise the turn.